Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,793   Online: 1202

Shooter
    Medium Format

Summilux vs Summicron 75mm

Other than the 1 stop advantage, any differences in the picture characteristics either wide open or at smaller apertures?

How does the AA in the Summicron change the picture quality?

Do most find the Summilux too unwieldy and how much does it obstruct the viewfinder of a 0.72 viewfinder? As much as a 35 Summilux?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I have a 75mm f/1.4 Summilux. Big and weighty compared to other Leica lenses. I use it on an .85 M6, so don't find it blocks too much. The lens is amazing in low light at f/1.4, but for most of when I use it, I could easily use a Summicron and not miss the extra f/stop.

I use my 35 mm Summilux on a .58 M6, so it's not a big problem either. Sorry, haven't tried either lenses on a .76 body.

Made this image with my 75 mm: http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Cheers...Clement.html#0
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    35mm RF
    "How does the AA in the Summicron change the picture quality?"

The Summicron AA is a much newer design and has aspherical elements as well as a movable rear element for closeup work. It is much more contrasty and the resolution wide open is better than the 'Lux. I have the 75mm AA Cron and it is one of the sharpest lenses along with my 35mm ASPH Lux that I have. With the advent of the 0.95 ASPH Noctilux, I expect that a new 75mm ASPH Lux is not far away. Of course the price will take your breath away! -Dick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's huge in comparison to the 35. Isn't the front diameter of the 75 almost twice the size of the 35?
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence Chai View Post
    Other than the 1 stop advantage, any differences in the picture characteristics either wide open or at smaller apertures?

How does the AA in the Summicron change the picture quality?
    Would you please translate "AA" for me please? I'm going to take a wild guess that it has something to do with an aspherical lens element. Acronyms and abbreviations are only useful if you can be sure that everyone will know what they mean.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Generally, the images shot with Summicrons have less motion blur than those with Summilux lenses. This is because the 'Crons leave you with a lots of extra money in your pockets that proper shooting technique will allow you to use as ballast, While the Summilux user will be so much lighter in the wallet that they cannot properly stabilize the camera at low shutter speeds. This issue is even further exacerbated by the Noctilux lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    From what I hear, the 75mm Summicron is a lot sharper than the Summilux. It's closely related to the 50mm ASPH Summilux. It has a floating element to help correct near minimum focusing distance, and is an APO design (I think) if that matters. So its going to be sharper and better corrected all around. Those that have it seem to really like it.

It is however a stop slower.

Shooter
    35mm
    Someone on the LUG was saying that he liked his 75mm Summarit best of all and he was comparing it to a Summilux and a Summicron
    "Sharpness is a Bourgeois Concept"-H.Cartier-Bresson

Regards Kenneth

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin