Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,364   Online: 1045

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    More specifics on the DR Summicron here:
    http://www.cameraquest.com/m50dr.htm

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    The Dual Range Summicron is regarded by many folks as the sharpest 50mm lens ever made. But it's not as ergonomically practical as either the Rigid Summicron from the same era, or the later versions of the Summicron M, (or the Konica 50mm f2 Hexanon-M) and the margin of optical superiority for the Dual Range might be extremely slight - and I have not seen any analysis as to whether the Dual Range Summicron works well with the Voigtlander Bessas. I'm sure that Stephen Gandy would know, as he deals in Leicas and also the Voigtlander Bessa bodies. So those are the issues you should think about. You could probably find any of these except the most recent versions of the Summicron M, for under $700. The most recent Summicron-M lenses would probably set you back closer to $1000 for really nice used examples.

Pretty much any used Summicron M, if it's in good condition, is worth considering, but, as that Cameraquest article points out, there are numerous versions all slightly different. If you were looking for value, you should also consider the 50mm f2 Konica Hexanon M, which is a superb lens that can be gotten for under $500, or the last generation Minolta Rokkor for the CLE that can be gotten for under $300.
    Last edited by dougjgreen; 06-02-2009 at 07:28 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    Nicholas: Were you recommending the same lens as dougjgreen-- the "dual range"?
    No, of course not.

The DR Summicron will not fit a Voigtlander, a simple glance at the lens and the camera will show that.

The mid-70's/80's 50mm Sumicron - black, without a tab or built-in hood - is the most sensibly priced of the modern 'crons and performs admirably. For extra savings get the Canadian model.
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Lindan View Post
    No, of course not.

The DR Summicron will not fit a Voigtlander, a simple glance at the lens and the camera will show that.

The mid-70's/80's 50mm Sumicron - black, without a tab or built-in hood - is the most sensibly priced of the modern 'crons and performs admirably. For extra savings get the Canadian model.
    That's true for the close-up range and the eyes - I'm not at all sure that it's true about the lens for it's normal focusing range. And in any case, the OP mentioned that he might also be looking at getting an older used Leica instead of a Bessa.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, I am definitely looking into an M4 body right now: They are not too horribly expensive and appear to hold value well if I don't decide to keep it. So the DR Summicron looks good, but I'll be looking at the other 50mm's suggested, esp. if I get the Bessa body.

Doug: by "not as ergonimically practical", do you mean the goggles on the DR version for close range? Are there other ergonomic issues with that lens?

Thanks! Sorry to keep changing the terms on my question, but there are a lot of options. If I get a higher priced body, I'll look at the Konica.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, my ergonomic comments all involved the use of the goggles for close-up work, and the mounting/dismounting of the lens when the goggles were used.

Shooter
    35mm
    There is a caveat at the CameraQuest page about matching goggles to DR Summicron. There were two styles of goggles. Be careful there. Also, make sure that the lens head serial number and focus mount serial number match. Unscrew the head and find the number on the mount.

While the DR Summicron may have the highest resolving power, it lacks the clinical contrast of the more modern lenses. That's not bad. Just different. The modern lenses may appear to be sharper due to micro contrast. The DR also flares like a witch if you aren't careeful.

All things considered, I find the DR summicron to be a very nice lens. My favorite rangefinder lens. YMMV

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Venchka, thanks. You read my mind: flare was my next question. I assume the DR Summicron is more prone to flare than modern versions, correct? I do some shooting into hard light/back light and this is a consideration for me. I would only eliminate the DR if the more modern and moderately priced versions are significantly better in that regard.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm not much help. I noticed the problem once and have tried real hard ever since to avoid it.

From my own personal experience, Konica rangefinder lenses do not flare.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I'm not much help. I noticed the problem once and have tried real hard ever since to avoid it.

From my own personal experience, Konica rangefinder lenses do not flare.
    And I might add, they are also every bit as sharp, as contrasty, and at least as well built as their Leica counterparts from the same era. When I sold nearly all of my Leica-mount rangefinder gear last year, the two bits that hurt me the most to part with were my Hexanon-M 50mm and my Voigtlander 15mm lenses. Even more than my CLE and Hexar RF bodies. But I sold my Hexar RF outfit for $500 more than I paid for it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin