Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,570,001   Online: 880

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think if you are looking at a 50mm rangefinder lens, they are all fantastic, and it's more a matter of what kind of look you want.

With your budget, and how you'd use it, I'd lean toward a more modern Summicron (not the latest version, but the ones that were out in the 1970s and 1980s) or the Zeiss ZM Planar. I've used both, and they are terrific lenses and great values. The Planar in particular doesn't seem to flare. It's particularly nice with color films, though I use it mainly for b&w and love it.

I've never used the Hexanon, but it sounds terrific too. Finally, if you want a fast 50, Cosina Voigtlander has a 50mm f1.5 Nokton that looks like a great value. Lots of great choices.

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    See here for details on the Leica 50mm Summicron lenses
    http://www.antiquecameras.net/50summicronmlenses.html

And here for the 35mm Summicron Lenses
    http://www.antiquecameras.net/35summicronmlenses.html

I prefer the 50mm Rigid and the 35mm IV

Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the links luvcameras. Any specific reason why you prefer the Rigid? Over the modern summicrons (80's and 90's)?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another factor, rarely taken into consideration, is that (according to my own experience, some tests and hearsay) more recent Leica lenses will flare less than Hexanon and CV lenses (though usually not Zeiss).

For me, that is another reason why I tend to prefer Leica & Zeiss.

Depending on the FLs you use, tastes and type of photography, that might be a less important factor for you.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    No brainer. The 40mm Rokkor-M with proper hood. The lens is as good as the 35/2 Cron V4. The egonomics superior to the 35/2 v2 or collasible 50/2, another great lens if in good shape. The focal length is flexible. Need a wide, get a 28/2.8.
    RJ

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I bought my Leica 50/2 with the built in hood for right around $550 a couple years ago. I sold it for the same price about 9 months ago. If you look you can find them for around that price. I personally liked the built in hood.

Pick your focal length and go from there. Not knowing what you really like, I'd say a Leica 50/2, a Zeiss ZM 50/2, or a Zeiss ZM 35/2 (great lens). The Leica 35's tend to be a bit more than $1000. You could also look at the new Leica Summarits - 35/2.5 and 50/2.5. All are good lenses. Some are smaller than others.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Rigid has less contrast than the later Summicrons. The Rigid is great for high resolution, medium contrast and beautiful build. Gives a creamy look on B&W film...but use a good deep lens hood to reduce unwanted flare... If you seek high res, high contrast, by all means go for the latest version Summicron 50/2 or the Zeiss alternative.

Good luck
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the replies: you guys are great!

Here's where things stand at this point. I'm probably going to get an M4 and am leaning heavily towards a 50mm lens. My style of photography, though developing, is more impressionistic, emotional, surreal, and less precise, descriptive. More Robert Frank than Walker Evans (at the risk of comparing myself to incomparable Olympians). I lean towards the 50mm because to me it seems more intimate, and human-scale, two qualities I want my photography to develop.

I am also doing this as a Leica/rangefinder experiment in which I will use this one camera, one lens pretty much exclusively for a significant period of time so as to simplify my life and get to know one style and let the equipment subside as any kind of issue. And, also very important, so that I can develop my exposure sense without a meter.

For these reasons, I am leaning towards a more vintage lens with a distinctive look and lower contrast, and am less interested in the high resolution, high contrast super sharp newer lenses. The Summicron DR is at the top of my list now; although concerned about weight and the usefulness of the close range goggles, it appears to be something I would like and that would fit well with my type of photography. Flare is definitely a concern for me and something I will have to work around and/or deal with.

If the lens or camera don't work for me, I can always sell for near what I paid, generally speaking. This, for me, is one of the real beauties of using older film equipment, especially Leica.

Any thoughts on the Summicron DR versus the Summicron Rigid? Pretty much the same optically aren't they?

Thanks again. This is fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You'll find no shortage of advice here. Given what you say, where I you, I wouldn't bother with the DR, excellent lens though it is. A rigid 'cron of the same era will look the same. Lots of other vintage 50's are out there. For that matter, given what you want to do, I would look at the VC 50's or even a Jupiter 8. Screwmount lenses work perfectly on M cameras with the adapter. There would be a lot of money left over for film. The M4 is great, but a built in meter is a great thing to have, so I would look at the M6 too. Or go back to your original thought of a VC camera like the R3.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Rigid and DR summicron are optically identical. The usefulness of the DR is limited in my experience...if I want close up, I use a (D)SLR. I also think the Rigid lens just looks nicer than the DR ( with or without googles on ). See here for a Rigid lens image http://www.camera-exchange.de/images...-rigid-863.jpg

Good luck
    Dan

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin