Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,957   Posts: 1,586,058   Online: 842

MFP
    Shooter
    35mm

Ugh, buying is so annoying.

Hey Rangefinder forum(a.k.a. leica forum, jk)

So I want a used Leica a two lenses, and know about where to buy/shop for the stuff I want, I just can't for the life of me friggin' decide what product to get. I'm pretty sure I want a leica m4-p, as it has both 28 and 50 mm finder lines, and it doesn't have a meter so i can find some for pretty cheap. Apart from that, I'm looking for advice on which lenses to look for, as I want a cheap ($200-500 preferably) 28mm f/2.8(but can work with 3.5) and a 50mm f/2-2.8. For the 28, I have considdered the voigtlander 28/3.5, but other than that can't find any others. For the 50, sharp and contrasty enough for slide film would be good, and I have looked at the DR summicron, and the more recent 50/2 that looks kinda skinny and another 50/2 with the focus nubbin (btw, a high value is placed on the focus nubbin), and finially several 50/2.8 collapsable elmars, but I have hear that those aren't that great-true?

All this searching totally confuses me and brings me further and further away from a solid decision. Does anyone have any advice on what I should get to put together a solid one body two lens setup?

lns

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MFP View Post
    Hey Rangefinder forum(a.k.a. leica forum, jk)

So I want a used Leica a two lenses, and know about where to buy/shop for the stuff I want, I just can't for the life of me friggin' decide what product to get. I'm pretty sure I want a leica m4-p, as it has both 28 and 50 mm finder lines, and it doesn't have a meter so i can find some for pretty cheap. Apart from that, I'm looking for advice on which lenses to look for, as I want a cheap ($200-500 preferably) 28mm f/2.8(but can work with 3.5) and a 50mm f/2-2.8. For the 28, I have considdered the voigtlander 28/3.5, but other than that can't find any others. For the 50, sharp and contrasty enough for slide film would be good, and I have looked at the DR summicron, and the more recent 50/2 that looks kinda skinny and another 50/2 with the focus nubbin (btw, a high value is placed on the focus nubbin), and finially several 50/2.8 collapsable elmars, but I have hear that those aren't that great-true?

All this searching totally confuses me and brings me further and further away from a solid decision. Does anyone have any advice on what I should get to put together a solid one body two lens setup?

I have the CV 28mm f3.5. It's small, sharp and contrasty and very well priced. If you want an f2.8, you will have to get a bigger lens and spend more. There's a CV 28mm f2 that might be in your price range, and a Zeiss ZM f2.8 that might be in your price range used.

For the 50mm, I don't love the ergonomics of either the DR Summicron or the Elmar, but that's personal and you may feel the opposite. Still, for $500 or so you can get a great used older Summicron (look for a 1970s or 1980s version) or a Zeiss ZM Planar, which are both terrific in my experience. Sharp and contrasty. The Zeiss Planar is amazing with color film; check out some shots on Flickr.

You can also research CV 50mm lenses which should be even less money. I've never used their 50's personally, but I'm sure they are good. There's more info just a couple of threads down with opinions from more people.

My advice would be to get at least one faster lens for low light shooting. (In other words, have at least one lens that is f2 or faster.) I'd make the 50mm your fastest, because there are more 50mm lenses available new and used, so you'll pay less for a good fast lens. Also, they will be smaller. And I just find it a more versatile focal length, but again that's personal.

Good luck!

-Laura

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Happened on your post and out of curiosity, checked eBay and found this;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leica-M4-P-half-...ZFilm_Cameras?

:o
    WYSIWYG - At least that's my goal.

Portfolio-http://apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=25518

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg View Post
    Happened on your post and out of curiosity, checked eBay and found this;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Leica-M4-P-half-...ZFilm_Cameras?

:o
    If I buy two of these I could have a full frame!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Any of the 50mm Summicrons will fill the bill. Pricing on them runs from around $250-$700. The collapsible lenses, Summicron & Elmar handle differently because there's nothing to hold on to because the lens head and the focusing ring. I find them uncomfortable to use. The DR Summicron needs the goggles ONLY for close work (28"vs39"), if it's not something you plan to do get a rigid lens & forget the DR
    The Elmars are all collapsible and make for a very pocketable camera. If you can live with a 2.8/3.5 max aperture they're fine all around lenses.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A friend has the CV 50mm f/2 collapsible Heliar, and I've been printing the negatives. The sharpness and smooth bokeh is delightful. Now discontinued, but avail. used. No focus tab. I use the new Leica Summarit-M 50mm f/2.5 and love it. With focus tab.

If I were in your budget range; no question I'd try the CV 50mm f/2.5 SM lens with Leica-mount adapter. I can shoot at 1/25s. [and I'm usually steady enough at 1/10s.] with my M3. I find Plus-X fast enough at EI 80 with f/2.5. The M4-P is perfect; I had one and foolishly sold it.

If you find the CV construction too cheesy compared to Leica, you can aim for a Leica lens after the M4-P is well paid off. It's easy to sell the CV lenses.

Shooter
    35mm
    I use the 50/2 Summicron which is very very good. Perfect ergonomics to me. Extremely sharp, versatile, can take lots of different subjects. My only other experience is with 35/2 Summicron aspherical, excellent but... damn costly even second-hand. The latter is shorter than the 50 and I find it a bit hard to switch between aperture ring and focusing ring altough I don't have big fingers, but I'm a bit fussy here...
    The M6 and later models have a very accurate, friendly, built-in metering, makes your life much easier than an external metering system (loss of time, can miss shots especially if you shoot street scenes).

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin