Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,578   Posts: 1,545,735   Online: 925

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    My first was an Industar-22, followed by an Industar-50, a Hektor 135mm, an Industar-60N, and a 21mm Voigtländer Skopar.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Most of the lenses mentioned can be found for the $$$ you want to spend. I think you would have to look for a long time to find a 35 Summicron for under $500 though. You would almost have to fall into it like the D80 for M2 swap.
    The 40mm M-Rokkor is a good lens for not a lot of $$ & the collapsible 50's make for compact sets also for not a lot of $$.
    As above the camera has framelines for 35/50/90 lenses, for a 40, most people use the outside of the 35 frame. Long lenses aren't really the strong point of the M cameras.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    As above the camera has framelines for 35/50/90 lenses, for a 40, most people use the outside of the 35 frame. Long lenses aren't really the strong point of the M cameras.
    Wrong way. The frame for the 40mm would be INSIDE the 35mm frame.

Shooter
    35mm
    Canon LTM lenses. High quality. Low price.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you want to shoot B&W, without any doubt , the 50/2 Rigid or DR Summicron, or at worst the Collapsible Summicron, if you want to shoot colour, without any doubt the 50/2 Planar, try to find it second hand.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My 56/57 Summicron is superb for Colour work, I certainly wouldn't trade it for a Planar

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    My first one was a 50/2. Take your pick. If I had to do it all over again, knowing then what I did now, I'd go for a the CV 28/3.5 for a great option under $500. Heck its probably half that.

Depending on what focal lengths you like, somewhere in 28-50 is probably a good first lens, with an emphasis towards 35 or 50 unless you really know you like 28 mm.

For < $500, you can get a mint used Zeiss 50/2, a Zeiss 35/2 (if you look), a Leica 50/2 (the newest version if you look hard), a Leica 50/2.8, a multitude of CV lenses in the 28-50mm range, or a Konica 35 or 50. All of them are good lenses. If you want fast, the CV 40/1.4 and 35/1.4 lenses offer a lot of bang for the buck.

You can certainly find older Nikkor and Canon lenses for less than that too. While they are great lenses, they aren't modern and might not be to your taste. Some older Leica lenses should be lumped in there too.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My first one was the CV Ultron 35/1.7.
    For colour work, it's still one of my first choices.
    The Rokkor-M 90/4 is very close, for colour or b&w.
    Cheers
    Noons (Nuno Souto)
    Gallery here

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would say, a 35mm would be a good place to start, but if you are more into shooting people than general street, then a 50mm would be preferable. As stated above, and especially for the B&W, if you want a Leica lens, then either the C Summicron 40/2 or the Rigid/DR Summicron 50/2. Do not buy a slower lens as your only lens, it will be too limiting.

Shooter
    35mm
    35/2 and 50/2 Summicrons are both great, the choice is a matter of taste. The 50mm is such a good focal length is many situations that it makes sense to own one. But, personnally, I give a slight advantage to the 35mm because I mostly shoot people in their environment, I like to include the surroundings in a portrait it can bring in a lot of valuable details. You really have to stop down to get the background clear with a 50mm at close range.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin