Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,271   Posts: 1,534,519   Online: 1021

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

What would be your first Leica mount lens?

because if budget restraints you could only afford one RF lens $500.00 or less what would it be?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    35 mm
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, it would depend upon the camera and what framelines it had, but I really like the last version of the Minolta 40mm f2 lens for the CLE. It can be found for under $300. I feel that 50mm is a bit long to be the main RF lens.

Of course, that's for general purpose work. For something really special purpose, I would get a Voigtlander 15mm lens with viewfinder and get a dedicated Bessa-L body. I sold most of my Leica-Mount RF stuff last year, and that's the thing that I most regret selling. Figure $350 for the lens and finder, and $100-150 for the dedicated Bessa-L body.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you want classic Leica, perhaps a Collapsible 50mm Summicron, or for a more modern lens, a 50mm 2.8 Elmar. My price guides will help give you a better idea of your choices:

Leica M Lenses http://www.antiquecameras.net/leicamlenses.html
    Leica LTM Lenses http://www.antiquecameras.net/leicascrewlenses.html

Dan
    Antique and Classic Camera BLOG
    www.antiquecameras.net/blog.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Personally, I like the 50 mm focal length. So for me, it would be one of the 50 mm. f/2 jobs. I know it might be a bit above your price point, but I'd put some money aside on a regular basis until I could afford one. The f/2 is fast enough for some pretty low light work, while the f/2.8 lenses could leave you wanting at times. The f/1.4 lenses are just too horrendously expensive for that extra stop of light. I'm not into the finer points of Leica lenses and variants, but I doubt there's a bad one in the bunch. Any of the variants would make me a very happy camper.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For me it would be a Voigt 21mm. I have this lens on my Contax IIIa 90% of the time.

Images
    If it's screwmount, you can get two great lenses if you don't need speed—the Voigtlander 35/2.5 and the 50/2.5. They are both very small, handy, sharp, and with excellent contrast. The 50 has a great vintage look to it, but with excellent contrast. The built-in hoods with push-on caps make them super handy to use. Add LTM to M adapters if using on M-mount.

If its just a 50, the Konica Hexanon 50/2 has a smooth, clean look, and very sharp. The built in hood with push-on cap makes it a pleasure to use. The lens feels very solid and well made. About $400.

The Summicron 50 is a great lens, very sharp. To me it creates a harder edged image, more etched, than the Hexanon. About $500.

For a less-well built lens with a great Sonnar look, buy a Jupiter 3 if you can have it collimated by Brian Sweeney to focus properly at close distance at f1.5. Softer contrast than the above lenses, very sharp, with beautiful out-of-focus areas. Total cost perhaps around $100, plus LTM to M adapter if needed.

I'm sure there are other good ones.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    collapsable sum .. ( 50f2 )
    its less filling and tastes great
    ( yes i have one ) ...
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the new Leica Summarit-M 50 f/2.5 and love it. With the $500 constraint, I'd buy the Voigtlander 50/2.5 Color Skopar. f/2.5 is wide enough aperture for nice bokeh, and 50mm is a focal length that I never become tired of. The tabbed focus ring is wonderfully functional for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff L View Post
    For me it would be a Voigt 21mm. I have this lens on my Contax IIIa 90% of the time.
    This *was* my first LTM lens (that didn't come with a Soviet camera as a rear lens cap), and while it's a great lens, 21mm is awfully wide (and f/4 is awfully slow). In hindsight, I would have been better off with something like a 35 or even a 28.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin