Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,536,047   Online: 971

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    unless there is ground glass
    1 eye is shut
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    35mm
    As a former amateur astronomer I developed a habit to keep both eyes open because having one eye shut you seriously loose in visual acuity of the open eye. The expuanation, if I get it right, is that our brain, being accustomed to recognise things in stereo vision, looses some vital information about the relative position and dimensions of objects in case if it's received in mono. For this reason the stereo vision seriously strengthens visual brightness of objects and eye's resolving power (the things seen in stereo look brighter and sharper) what is crucial in observation astronomy. I read somewhere that stereo vision boosts visual brightness up 20 percent. I don't think it's that important in photography. It also can add to the explanation of why viewfinders are now nearly eliminated from consumer-market products.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by driver8 View Post
    As a former amateur astronomer I developed a habit to keep both eyes open because having one eye shut you seriously loose in visual acuity of the open eye. The expuanation, if I get it right, is that our brain, being accustomed to recognise things in stereo vision, looses some vital information about the relative position and dimensions of objects in case if it's received in mono. For this reason the stereo vision seriously strengthens visual brightness of objects and eye's resolving power (the things seen in stereo look brighter and sharper) what is crucial in observation astronomy. I read somewhere that stereo vision boosts visual brightness up 20 percent. I don't think it's that important in photography. It also can add to the explanation of why viewfinders are now nearly eliminated from consumer-market products.
    If only Mr. Nicholson had just told us that instead of telling us we looked like idiots! Makes perfect sense.

Photographing definitely is harder for me if I close my non-viewfinder eye, however. Not sure why.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to work with both eyes open when shooting football games from the field. I only do it occasionally now. It's really useful to know when 3 250 pound guys are about to mow you down. This wasn't with a Leica, but a Nikon SLR.

It does help anytime you are trying to follow action.

GJA
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I had never really noticed this before, but I went and got my SLR (but it should be the same with any camera) and i have the same problem as the OP. I cant keep both eyes open, especially when using my right to look through the finder. As driver noted, you lose a lot of brightness, but i also noticed that with both eyes open the finder seems much dimmer too (and I have a very bright one with a fast lens).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have an old Albada finder for 50mm lenses that's wonderful to use with both eyes open, great for following action. The image is life-size.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Using 1:1 viewfinder definitely helps when shooting both eyes open. One more reason to use my Canon P. However, I find it sometimes hard to focus my right eye to the #¤%&%! rangefinder patch and I need to squint my left eye a little.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I'm right eye dominant, but I'm able to shoot left eyed without much trouble (I'm somewhat ambidextrous too.) Closing one eye can while shootingbecome fatiguing and I find that one advantage of left eye shooting is that I can keep the right eye open even though it is blocked by the camera body. This works well for getting the most out of low magnification viewfinders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm trying to get the hang of this technique. With a Cosina Voigtlander Bessa it has delightful moments when the bright frame of the viewfinder floats on a wide field of vision beyond the frame, quite magical. However I'm left eye dominent (lousy right eye) and the camera does get a little in the way, except in portrait format. As well this model Bessa didn't have 1:1 framing, as the later models do.

My Voigtlander Prominent, despite the viewfinder being sort of left eye favourable, catches out both left and right eye preferences, and this is not enhanced by the period qualities of the optics of the viewfinder.

My moments of floating a frame over the world and choosing what part of it to capture (please excuse that digital expression!) are so pleasing that I do persist in attempting to get it together.

Regards - Ross

Shooter
    35mm RF
    it is a mind over matter thing dont close either eye and they will both remain open...
    repeat.
    If you have a M3, Canon P or VI, then the difference in magnification is barely perceptible unless you look for it.
    But I'm ok with a Contax II or M2, indeed you can see more clearly without the viewfinder artifice.

Noel

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin