Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,776   Posts: 1,516,689   Online: 1179

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    What about the difference between the Jupiter and Industar lenses?
    I'm not sure if it's possible to generalise very well about the Jupiter lenses. As far as I know, the Industar-xx lenses are always approximately 50mm (and I think always or nearly always Tessar types), and almost everything else---longer, wider, faster---is a Jupiter. Some are really nice lenses---the 35mm J-12, a copy of the Biogon, particularly so---but as with most things Soviet, quality control varies, and some of the higher-spec Jupiter lenses have a fairly extreme reputation for variation.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Jupiter 8 lens on my Zorki 4 is much better than the Cintagon lens on my Argus C44. So, if I want to use a cheap fun, kitch camera I pick up the Zorki. The Argus C44 sits on the shelf since getting the Zorki.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ic-racer View Post
    The Jupiter 8 lens on my Zorki 4 is much better than the Cintagon lens on my Argus C44. So, if I want to use a cheap fun, kitch camera I pick up the Zorki. The Argus C44 sits on the shelf since getting the Zorki.
    The Cintagon, if I recall correctly, is a triplet.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    What about the difference between the Jupiter and Industar lenses?

Industars were Tessars. The collapsible LTM Industar were not exactly Elmar copies- only the mount and the barrel was copied. The lens was Tessar (though Elmar were also Tessar copies), but the diaphragm in Industar lenses were located the same place as they were in Tessar: between the middle and last groups. In the Elmar 5cm (though not in the Elmar 90 or 135 -mm), the diaphragm is right behind the first group.

Jupiter were mostly Sonnars- 6 or 7 elements. The J-12 though was Biogon.

Quality-wise, it's hard to see which does better when stopped down at f/8. Or when looking at photos at usual print sizes or on screen.

Tessar Industar tend to be better generally- when manufacturing quality is concerned. Focus issues arising from calibration of lens barrel or camera aren't as serious as with the more complicated wide-aperture Jupiter. Some of the later Industar, like the I-61L/D, give more contrast.
    FED ZORKI SURVIVAL SITE
    RANGEFINDERFILIPINAS
    Zorkikat.Com

"不管黑猫白猫能抓到老鼠就是好猫。" 邓小平
    It doesn't matter if a cat is black or white, so long as it catches mice.-邓小平

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin