Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,693   Online: 927

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred Aspen View Post
    Some excellent reading:

www.fredparker.com

-F.
    Agreed.

The best available exposition on the web:

http://www.fredparker.com/ultexp1.htm

BTW, some of the older rangefinders (e.g. by Voigtlander -e.g.the Vitomatic IIa- and Minolta -e.g. the Himatic 7s) actually have built in exposure value (e.v.) scales as part of their exposure arrangements, which makes the application of Fred Parker's technique simpler.
    Last edited by Galah; 07-01-2009 at 07:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i sometimes sunny 11 ... but i usually wing it 1/15thS wide open.
    my results are usually pretty close.
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

Shooter
    Large Format
    i thought eyeballing outdoor exposure would be hard. then i realized that the Kodachrome slides I was scanning from the 50's were taken on an Argus C3 (manual exposure) and the photographer was no professional. i gave it a shot and guess what? after a few rolls I had it down. No meter for me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You might find this useful:

The Exposure-Mat

My 10 year old son used it all last summer with an old CL with no meter. It helped him start seeing light and estimating what settings he needed.
    Andy
    Per Mare, Per Terram
    Filmus Monochromus | Project Double-X | Daily Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been having a lot of fun over the last few weeks trying out some folding roll film cameras with a couple of folding 35mm cameras thrown in. Not a rangefinder or lightmeter on any of them - pure photographer by 'wet finger in the wind method', and it has been loads of fun!

[smug]
    What I have discovered is that I must be a pretty fair judge of distance, as most of my guesstimated focussing is usually ok.
    [/smug]

With exposure, using the sunny 16 rule and common sense, I do fairly well, but with some errors. These are nearly always under-exposure. I suspect the reason is that your pupil dilates so you don't realise it's as dark as it is. It doesn't seem to work the other way around, very rarely do I over-expose. So that is the error, at least for me, to watch out for.

Thing is, with a digital camera (I have moaned about them considerably on another thread ) the mega-techno multi sensory zone compensated whatsaname metering system seems to get constantly fooled by black cats in coal cellers and white ones in the snow... and ALWAYS, ALWAYS by backlighting. And lets face it, most people shot outdoors have a bright sky behind them. Focussing too, the damn thing is always autofocussing on the wrong thing.

I find my success rate at getting a reasonably sharp, well exposed image by guesswork on a film camera averages out at about 80 to 90% I hope this will improve, now I've spotted my main error.. With the digital it is sometimes less than 50%.

Obviously with the digital you know straight away and delete half the pics and start again... but, my point is that no automatic metering system can beat a bit of common sense and a BRAIN. Even an old pickled one like mine.

Ah... I've just read the excellent Fred Parker article and he's said the same thing, only better... :rolleyes:
    :-)
    Steve

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've found the "Black Cat Exposure Guide" to be very helpful.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Take a look at this day-night exposure sliderule.

http://fotosharp.com/day_night_exposure_calculator.html

Steve
    $20.00 !!!! I made my own years ago for the cost of a little time using a word processor, a pair of scissors and some sticky backed plastic:

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    I made my own years ago for the cost of a little time using a word processor, a pair of scissors and some sticky backed plastic
    I think I saw that episode of Blue Peter!!

(US readers are now confused).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
    $20.00 !!!! I made my own years ago for the cost of a little time using a word processor, a pair of scissors and some sticky backed plastic:
    [/IMG]
    I like your version Simple and good.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Wow good job Andy...I think I will copy that and put it to use myself! Last week I got a 120 folder and my RB67 needs this hightech computer too!!
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin