Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,269   Posts: 1,534,417   Online: 953

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Pulling a partial roll

When I was about 15 years old I used to add sugar to my coffee. One day I decided to try drinking it black and after about two weeks I thought to myself, "Why would I ever want my coffee any way but black?"

Over the years I've always wondered if I would have the same experience if I started the habit of pulling a partially exposed roll of film from my Leica whenever I have the desire to change film types. By pulling, I mean leaving a leader hanging out so that I can reload the partially exposed roll back in the camera and pick up where I left off (or close to that point).

So my question is for those that do this on a daily basis, was your experience like my coffee experience, or do you only do it if you absolutely need to?

Furthermore, for those that do this a lot; what is your technique?

Denis K

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hi Denis,
    I do it quite a bit.Nothing like developing a roll of film in the heat of summer to find frames you took in mid winter.
    On my manual cameras I follow the same technique as you by leaving a bit of the leader out.Remove the roll and put it in a film can.I use painters tape and a "Sharpie" marker to record the date/location/camera/lens/# of exposures then pop it into my freezer.Rewind the film slowly to avoid scratches.
    When I reload the film I make sure to advance the frames 1 or 2 past the last exposure.

Works great.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.167 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102 UP.Link/6.3.0.0.0)

I second Mike. I even did it in the middle of a wedding a couple of times. Handy when you know the film in your bag will do the job and the film loaded on won't.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have taken a couple of rolls out with the intention of putting them back in but I have never actually got round to using up the rest of the roll.

I like my coffee with the coffee taken out and some tea added.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do this occasionally. To keep things straight I do the following.

I mark the film as soon as it's pulled with a sharpie or pencil/pen on tape with GT 14, which means "go to 14" when reloading, which is a couple of frames past the frame count when I pulled the film.

I also leave the leader out when I finish a roll that I'm going to process myself, so for finished rolls, the leader gets bent "backward" around the metal film canister, emulsion side out, when it goes into the plastic protective canister. For partially finished rolls, the leader is rolled around the outside of the film canister as delivered new.

Using tape, or marking "GT XX" on the leader itself reduces the chance of mistaking the film for a new roll when reloading.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Why not just put in the darkslide and swap the backs? I do that all the time with my Hasselblad. It is easy!

My bad!

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't bother with this anymore. There is too much potential for confusion and error. Just load another camera and shoot with it instead. These days, with the prices of film cameras, there's no impediment to having more than one.

My equivalent to not adding sugar to the coffee is ensuring I finish a roll in a shooting day. Film is cheap; if I feel like I'm nearly done I just explore some angles and finish off the roll.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would either plan ahead and use shorter rolls or carry a second body, which is what I usually do.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have done it on occasion when I need to change film speeds or go frm B&W to color. I leave a little bit of leader and write on it with a marker the frame # I was on. Then I would leave the lens cap on and advance a frame past that point to avoid a possible double exposure. if I was 5 or less frames from the end I would just use the film up on anything that was around.
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Occasionally I will cut a film in mid-roll and develop those frames. I'll then trim the leader for the next time.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin