Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,339   Online: 961

Thread: Argus C4

Shooter
    35mm

Argus C4

Hey all,
    I'm relatively new to RF's and have acquired an Argus C4 to go with my Fed2.

I've had quite a lot of fun with my FED 2, and the Argus was a bit of an inexpensive impulse buy. The Argus has a brighter RF than the FED 2 (I think I need to CLA the FED), but, there is no second image when I put my beady little eye to the glass. Focusing the lens I see something changing in the yellow circle (some dust moving), I'm a n00b, and, thus, not quite familiar with what could be at fault.

I'm not really afraid to open it up and look around, but, I'm wondering what I should be looking *for*.

Thanks,

Joe

Shooter
    35mm
    Joe,

Rick Oleson's web site has some great info on disassembly/repair of the Argus "bricks".
    Have a look at http://rick_oleson.tripod.com/

Randy

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Randy,
    He's got a nice blow-apart of a C4; I guess I'll pull the top off and see if anything obvious isn't connected. Maybe the RF just needs adjustment..

Shooter
    35mm
    To tidy up; this actually turned out to be very simple issue.

I opened the top and noticed there was a loose "lens" sitting in there. The bit of glass that sits just to the right of the mirror in the viewfinder had come free from the clasps. It appeared to be held in place by some sticky goo. I cleaned it off, placed it back in the clasps and put a dab of superglue on them to hold the lens in. Vila; rangefinder works again.

I think I'll need to adjust it a bit, and I see Rick Olson has some talk on that; the images will line up top/bottom that may mean it's in focus (tho, I suspect any images I take may actually be a bit out of focus given that it may be out of adjustment).

Thanks again Randy,

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Doesn't the C4's...

back come all the way off, BroJoe? I think mine did (bad, old memory)...so, an easy check with a piece of glass & Scotch magic tape as a groundglass against your rf setting! No wasted film & peace of mind returns.

Jo

Shooter
    35mm
    It does; hmm, I've never done this before, but, it must be simple.

Thanks for the idea.

J

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin