Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,504   Online: 1152

Shooter
    35mm RF

M4-P Bright Lines

Hey All

I received an M4-P recently, very happy about that.

I have a summicron 35 and summitar 50.

The 35/135mm bright lines appear in the viewfinder. When I put the 50 on, the bright lines do not change. Is it because the summitar is too old?

Any guidance for a newbie would be much appreciated.

I don't have another M lens to test the bright lines with.

Thanks
    Craig

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is the Summitar a screw mount? (I believe they all were.) If so, you just need to change the screw mount to M adapter to one that pulls up the 50mm finder lines. The adapters are what determine the frame lines used, and fit any screw mount lens. You just have an adapter that brings up either 35mm or 135mm framelines on a 50mm. You can find adapters used or new. The new Cosina/Voightlander adapters are reasonably priced if you can't find used.

Lee

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Heya

Thanks Lee. I noticed the adaptor currently on the lens was 35/135.

Glad to learn something before noon today.

Craig

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Glad to help. I have a Summitar that I just had CLA'd after buying it cheap with a very stiff aperture. (Looks like it sat in storage for decades unused, almost new.) It's a nice lens, the precursor to the Summicron, but watch out for an overall veiling flare with strong backlight, even with the coated version like mine. It has a specific rectangular hood that crops very tight. SOOPD is the lens shade model. It looks and works kind of like an open-sided collapsible box, similar to barn-door lamp shields. As I understand it, there were a couple of versions depending on the vintage of your lens. One has squared off ends on the spring clamp that grabs the lens and the other has a V profile on the clamp ends.

I'm really enjoying using my Summitar.

Lee

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just a tiny bit of information. If it has an asterisk after the serial number it's not a Summitar but a pre market Summicron and is very rare and valuable.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the viewfinder of the M4-P, you should see the framelines in pairs:> 28/90, 35/135, 50/75.
    "A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within." W. Durant

flickr

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin