Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,511   Posts: 1,645,220   Online: 1105

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I like using a rangefinder at say a wedding from the back of the church for the "overall" shots. Also, the mirror slap at symphonic concerts can be an issue, but it works better to shoot at the rehearsal anyway. Rangefinders also come in handy at military memorial services that I shoot. I use a Kodak Retina IIIC for these and other situations, switching to an SLR or DSLR as the situation requiring respectful silence has passed. SFC Craig Knapp, craig.knapp1@us.army.mil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leighgion View Post
    There's even more stringent situations like live film sets where sound is being recorded. If a noise is audible, then it's too loud. A plain Leica would likely not pass muster. Expensive and burly special soundproof enclosures are made for cameras so they can be used in situations like that.
    I was a sound and specifically a dialogue editor for most of my professional life and while a noisy camera shutter would be a nuisance it was really a matter of a quiet one being preferable. All extraneous noise is a pain in production sound recording, but quite often a 2 frame "click" is more easily remedied in post-production than the sound of a motion picture camera that grinds away in the "background" throughout the take, a dolly that squeaks its way across the floor of the studio,aircraft overhead etc. or absolutely the most difficult, a director who commands throughout the shot between lines of dialogue (yes Peter Jackson, I mean you!).

Whilst dialogue is very often rerecorded actors and directors often find that the performance in the production take is the best one, thus the lengths that dialogue editors take to rescue dodgy production recordings of dialogue.

I do imagine that our fragile thespian friends would, however, be rather sensitive about a clacky still camera shutter.

Regards from the off topic department - Ross

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Believe it or not but at one time our society did NOT have the constant hyper-noise level that it has today and many individuals actually liked quiet and did not feel that they had a right to blast whatever form of sound for others to hear. There were no boom boxes, no car stereo's, no cell phone rings tones, no walkman's, in short it was quiet. there was not the constant proliferation of cameras, cell phone cameras and video cameras. One could pretty much do as one wanted without the constant concern of being photographed. Those wanting to photograph people invariably gravitated to the Leica to avoid disturbing thier subjects and to photograph 'candids' or what is now referred to as 'street photography'. Much press photography was done with a large press camera with flash. With the advent of the SLR, the noise of the mirror was considered intrusive and again the Leica was the camera of choice. Today, SLR's are everywhere and the noise from them has replaced the songs of the birds we used to hear.-Dick

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Stephen,

Think of a poet reading out his work in front of a small audirence. I would rather not use my T90 in continuous mode at such an event. Someone being around the podium is already distracting.

But others do and I know I'm oldfashioned. Anyway, the ideal analogue camera for such a situation does not exist. I don't think a rangefinder would suit me either; perhaps a TLR with a tele lens. In this case a sensor-SLR without mirror but electronic viewfinder has its advantages.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For 25 years I have shot dance and theater performances. The quiet shutter of my Leicas allows me to take pictures like this:

I was seated in the front row of the theater. At this point the music stopped, and the dancer made this position in absolute silence. Even the shutter of my M6 was too loud, so I only made one shot.
    I have shot ballets, symphonies, pantomimes, plays, poetry readings, and lectures, and I have never heard any complaints about my work disturbing anyone. This is because I use a camera with a quiet shutter.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    For most of my work, the sound is not really important. But as mention before, there are times where quiet is important.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are places were photography isn't (or wasn't) allowed except with a Leica or similar quiet camera, and no flash.

Often only accredited news photographers were allowed to shoot in certain courts, the only system cameras that used to meet the noise requirements, and were quiet enough were M series Leicas, until more recently.

As Eddy describes above most theatres won't let you use an SLR during a performance, but they may allow a Leica, one way to get around this is to shoot at the dress performance were you can get total freedom.

So a quiet camera can have it's benefits.

Ian

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If you want absolutely dead effing silent try a Black (e.g. early) Konica Hexar AF with silent mode on. Comparatively an M6 sounds like a 12 gauge. The 35/2 isn't the equal of a Leica ASPH, but folks say it's as good as the last pre-ASPH 'cron.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're doing weddings, shooting during the ceremony, a quiet shutter is certainly an advantage. It's really surprising how loud even a Leica is during a church service. Otherwise, probably doesn't matter.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak, of all people, did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, I learned my lesson!:rolleyes:

Moderators: if you want to shut this one down it's all right with me!

With best regards,

Stephen S. Mack

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin