Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,409   Online: 1031

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Stephen,

Think of a poet reading out his work in front of a small audirence. I would rather not use my T90 in continuous mode at such an event. Someone being around the podium is already distracting.

But others do and I know I'm oldfashioned. Anyway, the ideal analogue camera for such a situation does not exist. I don't think a rangefinder would suit me either; perhaps a TLR with a tele lens. In this case a sensor-SLR without mirror but electronic viewfinder has its advantages.
    I agree. But I use the camera that I have available at the time. One is a Certo SuperSport Dolly which is very quiet, but somewhat cumbersome.

I just find the whole discussion amusing because when I started taking an interest in photography in the late 1950's this was a hot topic in "Modern Photography" and "Popular Photography". The amusing part, for me, is that all the comments made today are the same as those presented then. Hence, "There is nothing new under the Sun." or "Technology changes, people do not."

Besides I love the sound of my 500 CX.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    If you want absolutely dead effing silent try a Black (e.g. early) Konica Hexar AF with silent mode on. Comparatively an M6 sounds like a 12 gauge. The 35/2 isn't the equal of a Leica ASPH, but folks say it's as good as the last pre-ASPH 'cron.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're doing weddings, shooting during the ceremony, a quiet shutter is certainly an advantage. It's really surprising how loud even a Leica is during a church service. Otherwise, probably doesn't matter.
    Bruce

Moma don't take my Kodachrome away!
    Oops, Kodak just did!

BruceCSdunekPhotography.zenfolio.com

Shooter
    35mm
    OK, I learned my lesson!:rolleyes:

Moderators: if you want to shut this one down it's all right with me!

With best regards,

Stephen S. Mack

Shooter
    35mm RF
    How is your suit doing, Steve?

I often shoot in environments where I am trying to be as unobtrusive as possible, chiefly quiet acoustic performances and candids. As an audio engineer and acoustician by trade I began to notice the importance of the reflectivity of the space. In very live spaces like some churches, halls, theaters, etc. that are designed for lush acoustic reverberation, the sound of the shutter, regardless of its volume, can hang in the air for a second or more.

In the beginning I used an F4e only because it was what I had available to me. Like the Konica Hexar and others, it has a "silent" mode that dampens the mirror and reduces the motor noise. It was quiet enough for what I was doing at the time but after experimenting with some different cameras, I found the cloth shutter to be the most desirable. Its intensity varies from camera to camera of course but to my ears it still has a softer sound than most metal shutters.

One also learns to adjust their technique as needed. For particularly quiet performances/spaces, I try to line up my exposure with noises already occurring within the space. If there are music cues or a spot of crowd reaction I try to exploit that and shoot then. Of course, there are still plenty of moments when the right time is the quiet time and then it's just a matter of courage.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin