Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,322   Posts: 1,536,878   Online: 1112

View Poll Results: favorite focal lenghts (numbered by leica options, others = equvalente)

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • b. 21

0 0%
  • c. 24/25

0 0%
  • d. 28

2 8.33%
  • e. 35/40

11 45.83%
  • f. 50

9 37.50%
  • g. 75

0 0%
  • h. 90

1 4.17%
  • i. 135

0 0%
  • longer

0 0%
  • shorter

1 4.17%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I started with a summicron 50/2, but soon realized that I really prefer wider lenses. Most of the time I use an Hexanon 35/2 in one body and keep the Summicron on the other for black and white shots.

Favorite, though, the Hexanon. Now that I have a choice, I use it the most.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Francisco

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    i was unable to vote, but my focal lengths for my Mamiya 6 are 50 (~28-30 35mm equiv), 75 (40-50), 150 (~85) and I use the 50mm 90% time the 150 9.9% of the time.

I believe the 35mm equiv's are correct if not I'm sure you all know better.

aggie, david, mrcallow andd others...
    the "equivalance" is a bit problematic term. generally, when u sue formats like 35mm, 44/66 and 69 (though it is not exectly 69) the ratio is the same - 2/3 so there is no problem about saying the equivalante focel (example - 24mm or 25mm of leica and voigtlander is just the same as the 45apogrand on 44/66 format).
    for other ratios- there are many different ways to make the calculations.
    one is going on the diagonal and short and long sides of the format - image circyle.
    the other is going on the angle of view (the actual angle on the image and not the capability of the lense). usually the datas gives us the diagonal angle of view. but the other way, maybe more practical is the horizontal angle or vertical - which ever u tend to use.
    the different apprachs are very important to be understanded, to make the lenses more useful or better to say , to make the visualization process on different cameras and different formats much eassier.
    victor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used a chart I have from an old Camera Arts issue that had the equivalents for various formats and their focal lengths. Beyond that I use what I am comfortable with. I don't think past what I want the image to look like when I shoot either vertical or horizontal. I have shot both ways. The question asked did not get into the *greater meaning* reasonings behind, just what you liked about it. I like great depth of field.
    Non Digital Diva

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [xpan] 45mm, I never leave my house without it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Formats: 4"x5", 6x12cm, 6x9cm, 6x7cm. Lenses: 55mm Apo Grandagon; 110mm Super Symmar XL, 150mm Apo Sironar, 180mm Fujinon A, 300mm Apo Ronar. All on my Shen Hao 4x5 Field Camera. It won't focus my 600mm Apo Ronar. I'm thinking about buying a Shen Hao 8x10.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Rangefinders, huh?

My only function rangefinder camera id a FED-2. I have exactly one lens to choose from, a 50mm collapsible "Elmarski".

The big Linhof also is a rangefinder camera, but my 210mm isn't cammed. I find myself either using 121mm or 300mm on that - which corresponds to about 28mm and 80mm in tinyframe terms. The 210mm is second, a "normal" 45mm equivalent. I have also used 90mm and 360mm on it - 18mm and 100mm equivalent or so. I'm just guesstimatin' here.

Most of the rest of my cameras are "zone focusing": Guess the distance, guess the aperture, guess the real shutter speed at the time you select, guess which film is in the camera. I get surprisingly many good exposures with these.

All the old folders are "normal" length, so I use 50,75,80,105 and 150mm normal lenses.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Bad - the Shen Hao is not a rangefinder.

I have an old Linhof Technika but have cams for only 2 of my LF lenses - plus I don't use it anymore.

Ok - a 35mm rangefinder with lenses that I actually use (sometimes).

My Contax G2 with the 21mm Biogon and 35mm Planar. I also use my 16mm Hologon but that's zone focused.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    50mm and the equivalent in every other format.

Mine are the 35mm apo Summicron and the 90 mm Apo Summicron.
    I sometimes deliberately go out with only the 50mm and I find the discipline of the single focal lenth very stimulating.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin