Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,591   Posts: 1,545,955   Online: 1262

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The inner elements of the Super Ikonta coated Opton lenses have very soft coatings and can be literally wiped off. I know this to be true!
    I'm not sure, but I believe the inner coatings of some Leitz lenses are the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes, focal point at: http://www.focalpointlens.com/fp_intro.html

and

Yes, to many folks would pay good money to get a lens that is screwed up so good.

Sharp focus isn't all it is cracked up to be.

Bill Barber

Shooter
    35mm RF
    As others have said, try shooting with it for a while. i have a couple of lenses that people have given me because they were 'no good', in other words, dirty, scratched or hazed. For a certain look they are truly wonderful. One is a very old screw mount 90mm elmar that looks like someone used sand paper on the rear element, but boy, does it do great things with highlights and flare.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yeah, I agree with Shan. These faults can definitely give an extra touch. I´ve got an old scratched Summar myself. Pretty cool for Zone 5 pix and portraits.
    Cheers Micky

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Micky No 9 View Post
    Yeah, I agree with Shan. These faults can definitely give an extra touch. I´ve got an old scratched Summar myself. Pretty cool for Zone 5 pix and portraits.
    Cheers Micky
    My old scratched Summar is up there among my handful of favorite lenses, and definitely number one in the "most beautiful" category. There is nothing I have found that is remotely like it! I want something just like it for medium and large formats....
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have had a trio of lenses given to me a 35, 50 and 90 I sent them all at to Sherry to have them get an upper body cleaning, given the the elements needed cleaning and the mech was still in working condition. She did great work for me, maybe $60 to $80 each. She told me the 50mm was in the worst shape and it would not do well with stray light due to what was left of the coatings, but if I wanted to drop some more $$$ like $190, she would re-element the lens. This was the 50mm colapseable lens, F 3.5 I believe. She did wonders on these lenses. You can contact her at: http://www.sherrykrauter.com/.

The 90 and 35 came out really perfect for as old as they are. I'd feel comfortable sending her anything.

I like that saving money on a lens baby thing for you M camera. I use the not so perfect 50mm and 80% of the time it is just great, just flair and such is a bit much. Before I had them cleaned I took the M2 and lenses, yes the M2 was a gift too, out west and photographed old Indian dwellings. The look was so amazing, high grain film, old hazed lenses, could not ask for more perfect match. I'll have to find some of the scans and post a few, even hazed lenses have great value.

Lee

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin