Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,616   Online: 703

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Are some lenses uncleanable?

I just picked up this Summarit 50/1.5 the other day, which is in pretty bad shape (it was cheap.)

As you can see from the photos, it's very foggy and there are some scratches on it. The shop told me that it cannot be cleaned, but I'd like a second opinion from the people here. I know scratches can't be fixed, but what about the fogging?

The last picture is a sample photo from it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0776.JPG   IMG_0778.JPG   shrine.jpg  

Shooter
    35mm RF
    It depends. If it's just haze on the element surfaces, then yes. If it's degradation of the cement between the elements, that's a more complex process.

And occasionally you'll encounter haze that can't be removed except through repolishing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have no idea what kind of haze this is ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The pic looks good to me. It would be hard to get that look if you tried. I'd call yourself blessed, leave it alone and shoot with it.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hard to tell from the pictures, but it looks like haze that I've had cleaned or cleaned myself from older lenses. Even if there is fungus that has permanently etched the coatings or the glass itself, there's usually a lot of gunk that can be removed with a cleaning, and the lens may be quite usable. I'd say it's worth sending to a qualified repair technician who can disassemble and clean the lens and recollimate it afterward.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I've heard other people try the following:

Look up the lens formula and find out which surfaces are concave and which are convex. Then as you slowly tilt the lens from side to side look for the reflected image of the haze on each lens surface and from that work out which surface the haze is on. It may be too hard, especially with coated lenes, but it's probably worth the effort.

Denis K

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have a 50mm f1.5 Xenon (I believe it's the same lens as yours only older) in a similar condition. I'm planning on opening mine just to clean out some of the loose junk (mostly flecks of black paint I think) but I don't think I'm going to poke at the haze too much if at all. I'd second 2F on just using it for those times you want that particular look. I asked a question about how to open this lens up - here's the thread: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum147/...ng-repair.html

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The "lens that cannot be cleaned" is one that is etched by fungus. The fungus eates into the glass and it is a one way ticket... but as Dave says, you can usually get the gunk off at least. A bit of fugus damage you can live with.

A good tip is to use one of those little mini torches with a single blue LED in it. In subdued light shine the light in from the back as you look through the front and it makes all the muck on the lens surfaces stand out much more clearly than white light, especially diffuse light.

Doing this with my own lenses showed me that a LOT of my lenses have some fungus in them, even one I thought were clear, but sometimes I think we worry too much. Who was the guy with a lens that had a dead fly, a lose spring and several bits of muck rattling about inside? Was it certo66? It is on a webite somewhere. A lens full of garbage, but the pictures were excellent.
    Steve

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    You saved $270 on a Lensbaby.
    jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The front element of my dad's 53 summarit was covered in small cleaning scatches, and I mean covered. Looked like it had been rubbed with a sandy cloth for 40 years.
    John at Focalpoint re-polished and re-coated it and it looks like new.
    Ike

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin