Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,493   Posts: 1,571,396   Online: 1095

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Ya I know they aren't close to Leica optics, but the cost isn't anywhere close either. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge as to functionality? Sharpness, contrast etc. All I'm interested in is the stuff you would see on an 11x14 print.

The two focal lengths I am looking at are 50mm and 135mm. If I could get a Canon or Nikon 50mm I would be very happy tho.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

hbc

Images
    ERIC I HAVE USED RUSSIAN LTMS ON MY BESSA R AND ON A FED 3B WICH BY THE WAY IS A GOOD CAMERA. OFCOURSE THEY ARE IN NO WAY EQUAL TO LEICA LENSES BUT FOR $30.00 YOU CANNOT BEAT THEM AND THEY CAN BE PRETTY GOOD IF YOU FIND THE RIGHT ONES, I HAVE USED THE 35MM JUPITER12 A ZEISS COPY I BELIEVE, THE 50MM JUPITER 8 THE ONE I HAVE IS GREAT CONIDERING I PAID $25.00 FOR IT AND A 90MM JUPITER 9 WICH IS NOT BAD. BUT I THINK SHARPNESS IS OVER RATED SOME TIMES ANY WAY WHEN I WHANT IT I USE MY 4X5 OR 8X10. 35MM IS WHAT IT IS HOW MANY OF ROBERT FRANKS OR LOUIS FAURER OR EVEN CARTIER BRESSON GREAT PICS WERE TRULY SHARP.ITS THE SUBJECT THAT MATTERS IMHO.

eric...
    why not the voigtlander... any of their lenses i have used is outstanding, and they are very cheap. not leica, but not very far.
    i think that there is still no 135mm of those but u have few 50mm models.
    victor

Images
    The optical quality of russian lenses varies greatly from sample to sample. With some luck you might find a good one. Try, if possible to avoid samples that have been disassembled. The 135 is probably the weakest lens of the lot. I would suggest looking for the 90 mm.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The one Russian lens I have is the "Elmarski" that came with my FED-2. My entry in the anniversary gallery was taken with that. It seems to me to be very good?

I'm considering whether to buy a Russian 20mm or a new Voigtländer 21mm. But since the price seems to be about the same I think I'll go for the new one...
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Images
    The russian 20 mm is really overpriced and in any case you have no guarantee that you will get a good one. All the consideration above hold true for those lens who have a price in the 25-50 Euro range (35-50-90-135 mm), but not for a lens offered at 200 Euro.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Russian is good - I know that. I've tested it. If the price were anywhere near the price of my camera there would have been no competition. So I'll see what price I can negotiate for a Voigtländer...
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ole, I own a 20mm Russar and finder. It is a good lens.

Is the lens on your FED 2 an Industar 61 or one of the other Industars or Jupiters? If they haven't been abused, they are all decent performers, but Industar 61's with the Lanthanum element are particulary good.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson
    Is the lens on your FED 2 an Industar 61 or one of the other Industars or Jupiters?

Frankly I don't know. It's marked FED (in cyrillic letters, of course), and is a copy of the collapsible Elmar 50mm/f:3.5. What that tranlates to in Industar terms I don't know - but the quality was a pleasant surprise for someone who's using APO-Lanthar, Zeiss Planar and Schneider Xenar on LF!
    Norway

Images
    It should be an Industar 22 (50 f/3,5).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin