Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,736   Posts: 1,670,382   Online: 858

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011
    Shooter
    35mm
    The effect of mirror on image quality is, according to somebody, visible for shutter speeds from around 1/4" to 1/30" or so.
    From 1/125" the effect should be small. There should always is a loss of quality, so you'd better raise the mirror if you work on tripod, but whereas at 1/8" raising the mirror gives a clear gain in image quality, at 1/500" it doesn't, using a normal lens.

That said: when using a tripod and if you have mirror lock-up, do use it always.
    If using the camera hand-held, the real difference can be felt at 1/15" or 1/30" which are the two speeds that one may be induced to use free-hand and which exhibit more the effect of mirror slapping. If you normally take pictures in normal daylight conditions, and your shutter speed normally is above 1/60", I wouldn't worry about the effect of the mirror on quality, it's hand-holding which, in itself, degrades quality more than mirror.

I've read conflicting reports over sharpness at high shutter speeds with or without mirror.

My impression is that tripod work is always superior, at every speed, to hand-holding, which leads me to believe that also at 1/500" there is a decay caused by the hand shake.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Mirror slap is the lest of the issues.... you can blur a handheld image at most any shutter speed... a steady hand is needed and evident even for photos at 1/1000th if you are splitting hairs.

I have an aunt that blurred every photo she made with a 1/125 instamatic... my dad always made fun of her snapshots.

Go make some photographs that matter and stop worrying about what other people think of your rig.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Do a physics equation on the effects... the film gate is solid with the body, what is the ratio of weight of the mirror to the whole mechanism. Then the damping. It is nothing... and while we are at this pissing war, what is the effect of inertia of the shutter curtains, I bet we could do some math that shows that perhaps some of the rangefinders have a larger torque effect on the system (ratio of shutter to body) that is effect more than a heavy Nikon with those titanium foil shutters, this is congecture on my part at this time, but if someone is willing to do the math, I bet there is something to this.

Oh ... go make some photographs!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Photography is an imprecise science. There are few, if any technically "perfect" photographs taken with a film camera.

-What is the true speed of the film?
    -How accurate is the film developing?
    -How accurate is the meter?
    -How accurate is the shutter speed?
    -Did you measure the scene properly with your light meter?
    -Is the film moving in the film plane during the shutter traverse?
    -Do both shutter curtains move across the film plane at the same speed?
    -Does the lens hold it's focus exactly during the shock of stop down?
    -Does the lens hold it's focus exactly during the shock of the shutter releasing?
    -Is that lens of yours as perfect as you have been led to believe?
    -Is the footing under the tripod really solid?
    -Is the tripod large enough for the camera?
    -Does the tripod have enough mass to dampen any shutter or mirror shock?
    -Is your lens made by the right manufacturer?
    -Did Ansel recommend the camera you are using to anyone?
    -Do you really know what you are doing?
    -Is the lens barrel chrome or black?

Scary stuff eh?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I try myself not to get too hung up with the technicality s of photography any more, I worry more about what my pictures say if anything, even if they are not of the ultimate photo - technical quality.
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Goutiere View Post
    Did you measure the scene properly with your light meter?
    Factor number one in "technically flawed" film IME. A very high percentage of major problems can be traced to that.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 567891011

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin