Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,898   Posts: 1,521,039   Online: 785

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: Does "no mirror" really = sharper negs?

Quote Originally Posted by keithwms
    When I went from the F5 to the F100 I thought MLU would be an issue... it has not been. The mirror damping on the F100 is very good
    Thank you, just moved over to a F100 and enjoyed the damped sound of shutter/mirror
    Was thinking of buying a F5 'cause it's MLU, but reading this doesn't encourage me anymore to do so

Anyone who can add to the list 35mm SLR's with MLU?

rhmimac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rhmimac View Post

Anyone who can add to the list 35mm SLR's with MLU?
    While not exactly MLU, the various Nikon FM/FE series cameras (and possibly others) raise the mirror and close the diaphragm when the self-timer is started.

This is effectively MLU, at least for subjects where catching the decisive moment isn't important...
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    MLU cameras:Pentax KX,LX(?) Nikon F/F2, Nikkormat FTN/FT2, Canon FTb/F1, Minolta SRT101.
    Probably more but these are four commonly available cameras. I don't remember if the OM1 had MLU or not, but don't believe it did.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Koehrer View Post
    I don't remember if the OM1 had MLU or not, but don't believe it did.
    The OM-1 was the only Olympus OM model with mirror lock up, which combined with its size and weight made it sought after among astrophotographers.

Leica R6/R6.2 have mirror lock up. If you flick the top of the shutter release on a Leica SL with a finger tip, it will lock up the mirror without firing. Not sure if this works on the SL2. I can make it work consistently on an SL.

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee L View Post
    The OM-1 was the only Olympus OM model with mirror lock up, which combined with its size and weight made it sought after among astrophotographers.

Leica R6/R6.2 have mirror lock up. If you flick the top of the shutter release on a Leica SL with a finger tip, it will lock up the mirror without firing. Not sure if this works on the SL2. I can make it work consistently on an SL.

Lee
    This works on many Pentax SLRs as well. I use it Spotmatics and various M-series. Don't think I ever tried it on my K1000, which I wish I had never sold... sigh.
    -brian hayden
    http://fed-2.org

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Re: Does "no mirror" really = sharper negs?

Thank you for the list.
    The thread started in the RF forum which I forgot.
    I will reignite it on the proper place

rhmimac

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Performing the laser pointer test seems like it would not be anything more than a curiosity unless the laser spot was actually photographed.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    And, as has already been pointed out, it's stupid to photograph the laser point, and one might as well photograph a resolution chart. If the laser is attached to the camera solidly, it's going to move in exactly the same way the camera is, and so it will be no surprise that the laser point stays a nice sharp dot, even as the rest of the photograph becomes blurred by mirror slap. Trying to acertain mirror slap by photographing a laser point from a laser attached to the camera is about as perfectly flawed a test as one could imagine. Lasers don't actually draw streaks on walls....they just look like they do.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    And, as has already been pointed out, it's stupid to photograph the laser point, and one might as well photograph a resolution chart. If the laser is attached to the camera solidly, it's going to move in exactly the same way the camera is, and so it will be no surprise that the laser point stays a nice sharp dot, even as the rest of the photograph becomes blurred by mirror slap. Trying to acertain mirror slap by photographing a laser point from a laser attached to the camera is about as perfectly flawed a test as one could imagine. Lasers don't actually draw streaks on walls....they just look like they do.
    Isn't the point to see if the dot is blurred during the exposure?
    But, as yet I haven't photographed a dot. Laser or otherwise.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm saying, that if the laser is attached to the camera, the dot is never going to be blurred, regardless of how shaky the camera is. If the camera moves, the dot will also move. Think about it. You need to photograph something that's external to the camera if you want to see if the camera is shaking.
    f/22 and be there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin