Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,228   Online: 893

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sangetsu View Post
    Rangefinders are simpler optically than SLRs, but focus more slowly (depending on how much practice you have had), and less precisely than SLR cameras.
    A rangefinder lens, because of it simplicity, will also have less glass elements hence less glass surfaces than a SLR lens. This can give better contrast. Lenses with less elements are simpler to make, simpler in construction so may be far more rugged than a given SLR lens.

As for precision in focus; In low light, I must say that it is easier to focus my Leica M with its 35mm lens than my Nikon F3 with it's 35mm lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sangetsu View Post
    The reason that photographers use rangefinders for street photography is because HCB did it.
    Thank you!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some people enjoy using RF cameras because it feels right to them.
    Some people prefer apple pie to blueberry pie. Same diff.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I'm saying, that if the laser is attached to the camera, the dot is never going to be blurred, regardless of how shaky the camera is. If the camera moves, the dot will also move. Think about it. You need to photograph something that's external to the camera if you want to see if the camera is shaking.
    Here's a thought experiment: Use a 10 second exposure and move the camera up and down? Will the dot be blurred? Of course; it will be a line. Now explain why the physics of motion are different for 10 seconds vs. 1/10th of a second.

Yes, the dot moves with the camera. That's the point. However the background doesn't move and the path the dot traces on the background will be recorded.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maderik View Post
    Here's a thought experiment: Use a 10 second exposure and move the camera up and down? Will the dot be blurred? Of course; it will be a line. Now explain why the physics of motion are different for 10 seconds vs. 1/10th of a second.

Yes, the dot moves with the camera. That's the point. However the background doesn't move and the path the dot traces on the background will be recorded.
    Heh, heh, heh. Think about it more carefully.
    My blog / photo website: http://frankfoto.jimdo.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by maderik View Post

The point of the test should be to see how a moving camera records a static object in a real world situation...not to see how a moving camera records the movement of an object that is moving just as much as the camera. Photographing the laser attached to the camera will tell you how much the camera moves, but photographing a still object will tell you how a still object will actually be rendered. The first is simply informative. The second gives you actual practical knowledge. For instance, not just how much does the camera move, but how much movement is acceptable in a picture that is shot in a real-world situation.

Really. This is test is terribly over engineered. Why can't you just shoot the front page of the Times tacked to a bulletin board? Shooting a laser is just a techy way to make some piece of modern technology seem more useful than it really is.

...besides, we all know that the ONLY real use for a laser pointer is for playing with cats.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ..besides, we all know that the ONLY real use for a laser pointer is for playing with cats.
    That's about the best use I can think of for one.

Really. This is test is terribly over engineered. Why can't you just shoot the front page of the Times tacked to a bulletin board? Shooting a laser is just a techy way to make some piece of modern technology seem more useful than it really is.
    Maybe because the techie geeks among us are more likely to have a laser pointer than any page of the Times?
    Besides, everyone knows a test using technology is far superior to those that don't.:rolleyes:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    That's about the best use I can think of for one.
    Yup...and we don't even have to get off of our fat asses to do it! Even better!

Call me a Luddite, but I buy the paper every week day. $16 per month to support analog circulation (and the local American jobs that go with it) in my local newspaper machines is worth it to me. I get way more information than I would online, in less time. I also get the funnies, the crossword, sudoku, and one of my personal favorites, the obits. Plus I get to take a walk to the machine from work and back. I also don't bug my eyes out or have to sit on my butt to do it. I feel I am lucky to work in a place without a computer or ass sitting on being a necessary part of my job, personally.

(Any sheet of paper with text on it will do, of course.)
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 02-04-2010 at 06:31 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shooter
    35mm
    Here's a thought experiment: Use a 10 second exposure and move the camera up and down? Will the dot be blurred?
    No, it will not be blurred, unless the laser pointer is poorly attached and moves in relation to the camera. Laser pointers do not leave trails on the wall; it just looks like they do. Why don't you try it some time and report back.
    f/22 and be there.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin