Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,445   Posts: 1,569,952   Online: 1067

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    If it were mine I would send it to Sherry Krauter at Golden Touch: 845.496.8834. She can tell you what is wrong, and fix it properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Can you show any pictures of it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

50mm Leica Summicron - AGAIN! resurrected thread

I let this thread expire before bcs I was too lazy to post photos and tightening a screw got me by. I just kept using the lens . . . until a knew problem.

Now 1 screw on the ring behind the aperture ring is gone and one on the same ring is loose and I have snugged it in but not tightened it hard. The ring on which the loose screw and missing screw are located was turning freely so that aperture did not stay steady against the white marker dot. When I tightened the loose screw I was able to set the ring at the right spot for the actual aperture and tighten down the screw so the ring did not swing freely.

Pic 1 is the missing screw. Pic 2 is the gummed up loose screw I tigtened and Pic 3 shows the one good screw at the bottom and a silhouette of the loose screw AFTER tightening. Meanin it is NOT set right.

Any help for me? How much is a good CLA of this lens?

Thanks
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 50Sum_Screws_01_sm.JPG   50Sum_Screws_02_sm.JPG   50Sum_Screws_03_sm.JPG  
    Last edited by jglass; 12-23-2011 at 12:41 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you have half an idea of what you're doing, you could probably just replace the missing screws and run a test roll to see if focusing & aperture are still accurate.
    If you have doubts, a good CLA certainly won't harm your lens.

The *BIG* question is, why are you losing screws like that?
    It certainly isn't normal. Either someone took the lens apart and didn't put it together well, or it's been subjected to vibration: unpadded contact with an airplane carry on bin is especially bad, but vibrations from other vehicles can also loosen up screws. In that case I'd recommend a CLA as other internal screws and retaining rings could also be loose.
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Rol, I carry it around a lot, in my car, but always in a bag etc. Not often near vibrating machinery. I think no one has CLA'd it recently.

Any recommendations for good priced CLA?
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    jlass ,

As you can not build a summicron , you can not fix it. Send it to a repair person , otherwise I fear , you would ruin it.

Umut

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    BTW I'm in Texas if anyone has a good repair person in my region. I know about DAG and Golden Touch

Umut, I do NOT propose to do it myself!
    Jeff Glass

Photo Blog
    Website

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    jglass ,

may be its better to call him first, http://www.rangefinderrestorations.com/Welcome.html

Important notice , address comes from 2008 and not working. May be name search works.

Rangefinder Restorations (USA)

Located in Austin Texas USA, Robert Jagitsch's website notes the following:

We offer CLA (clean, lubricate, and adjust) and repair services to get your Leica into top operating condition, and painting and restoration to address cosmetic issues such as brightmarks, scratches, or surface pitting. Dings and dents can also be addressed. Restoration options include paint color, vulcanite replacement, filled engravings, and restoration of the back door.

[As of Q2 2008] we now offer several paint finishes, including hammertone, a semi-gloss, and a black lacquer.
    As of June 2008, Mr Jagitsch's prices were $US 300-400.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had a screw loose for a long time. Maybe I need a CLA?
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

T42

Shooter
    35mm
    Sherry Krauter at Golden Touch charged me $115 for a CLA on a collapsible 50mm Summicron a few years ago. She did a nice job. When my Leitz gear needs love again, that's where I plan to send it.

Henry
    A Certified Dinosaur
    Nikons F, F2, D700, Leica M3, & Kiev 4a

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin