Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,849   Posts: 1,582,826   Online: 738

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Leica 50mm Lens issue

My 50mm summicron has developed a loose ring, the one on which the little white dot that marks the aperture setting is located. That little ring just spins around; the aperture ring appears to be working fine. I have not film tested the issue yet.

Can anyone tell me what kind of fix that entails? Could I do it myself? I can't really figure out how it works, although I'm not too mechanically inclined.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    My 50mm summicron has developed a loose ring, the one on which the little white dot that marks the aperture setting is located. That little ring just spins around; the aperture ring appears to be working fine. I have not film tested the issue yet.

Can anyone tell me what kind of fix that entails? Could I do it myself? I can't really figure out how it works, although I'm not too mechanically inclined.

Thanks.
    You might check on the rangefinder forum. A lot of help there also.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

Please provide the initial part of the serial number.

nnnnxxx

Some of the Summicron lens heads can be unscrewed.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi, Noel: The serial # is 234xxxx.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The early version of the Summicron DR lens head unscrews to allow for close focusing...

http://www.cameraquest.com/m50dr.htm in the middle of the page.

I wondered the same thing when I got my Summi DR and thought oh no it's broken .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is not an early version or a DR. Has anyone any idea what kind of fix this will entail or do I just need to send it in?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by jglass View Post
    Hi, Noel: The serial # is 234xxxx.
    That makes it a type III, and it is the filter screw threaded front that is rotating?

It may be the front section of the lens, if the name plate ring is going around as well...

Try turning it clock wise to tighten it gently - it may be on fine threads and tighten, it which case you are ok but it will slacken the next time you remove a tight filter. If you unscrew completely cause you are curious you will admit lots of dust, it would normally be assembled in a clean room.

A repair person will address the grub screw or fix aid if you dont like.

When removing filters you need to counter hold the front of the lens rather than the rear, kitchen washing up gloves are a small investment.

Sorry

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Noel: No it is not the filter ring that is rotating. It is a very thin ring of the more or less on the outside of the front filter ring. The only thing on this ring is the white dot that is usually still and marks the aperture setting. It turns freely as if not threaded. I'm surprised it seems unattached to the other rings. I guess I better take it in.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

Try transparent nail varnish dabs at 120 degrees, leave over night, wipe any excess off with rag damp with nail varnish remover.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm going to revive this to see if anyone can at least tell me what that ring is called: it is a very thin ring that sits behind the filter ring and in front of the aperture ring. the only thing on it is the white dot for setting aperture. Thus it is supposed to be stationery. Mine now turns freely. I will not be using nail varnish on this lens.

Can anyone help with terminology so I can at least search for a solution?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin