Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,989   Posts: 1,524,087   Online: 1133

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

olympus XA + fill flash?

Is it possible to get fill-flash by using ISO 100 film in the XA and setting the flash to say ISO 400?

This way, the camera may expose the film based on ISO 100 but the flash will 1/4th of the light it thinks the scene needs.
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would give that a yes, with the caveat of exprimentation. I vaguelly remember my manual covering that. If not the manual, it was in one of the Oly publications from the late 80's. Never hurts to give a try.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    127 Format
    I've done that with my XA2. My camera has a fast shutter and I've used that technique to some degree of success.

I've also found that if I set my ASA to 1/2 box speed the old XA2 works much better.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Everything you ever wanted to know about the XA..

http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lh...to/xa.faq.html

Answer to your specific question about fill:

http://brashear.phys.appstate.edu/lh...q.html#ques_F6

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've used the same technique with other camera-flash combinations pretty successfully.

You might want to shoot a few experimental frames, tweaking your available ISO settings.

Though, does the XA body still meter when the flash is used or does it default to say 1/500 and the flash dependant f-stop?
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pop the flash on, then step the aperture back down to set the ratio between main light (sun, etc) and the fill flash. Flash expects f/2.8, so f/4 gives 1:2 or so for a lighting ratio, suits colur in my view. f/5.6 may be better for b&w.

The Oly manual gives the info. Attached are the tables that I paste onto the back of my XA's A16 flash, and the camera body.
    Attached Files
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for all the info. -I am still scratching my head a little.

Q: does the flash vary its output at all or does it use the same output for all photos?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    Thanks for all the info. -I am still scratching my head a little.

Q: does the flash vary its output at all or does it use the same output for all photos?
    Hi, Darrin, there are three flashes for the Olympus XA the little A9M which is manual the A11 is a computer flash that varies it's output, and so is the largest the A16 , which one are we talking about ?
    Ben

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A11 and A16 can be set as manual (set lens to exposure to match distance, with right guide number for film speed being used).

They also have auto settings for 100 and 400 speed films. These are set with a little lever beside the auto exposure eye on the flash.

The A16 has the most punch, but not much. The A11 is about 1 stop weaker. I think the numbers might be guide number in meters with 100asa film.

The A9M I have not used but I believe it was to be used for macro work with an XA3, and don't think it actually has an easily user replacable battery. Others may have better knowledge of the A9M.
    my real name, imagine that.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I have an A11. I will check it out tonight.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin