Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,456   Posts: 1,570,570   Online: 838

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just remind yourself of the sub-miniature size negatives the Leica produces, and you'll get over it very quickly, Thomas.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This gets better and better. Somehow I fool myself into thinking that things will get better by asking the question here. Now I have to fend off all your voices IN ADDITION to the ten voices already in my head. LOL

Yeah, I'm convinced my pictures will not technically be better, but I think I work more carefully with the Leica. It's a bit easier to set up. It's a bit more enjoyable to use.

It is definitely not for aesthetic reasons. The Pentax lenses I currently use are, as far as I can tell from prints, every bit as good, or 99% there. Not enough to trouble me.

But that feeling when you forward the film winding crank, when you focus the lens, or set the aperture... It feels so much more natural and intuitive. So I'm trying to fool myself into believing that those factors will definitely make my pictures better. And that's final...

And, interestingly, I have been on a mission to simplify my camera arsenal for a couple of years. I have a pinhole camera, a 35mm (Pentax), a Hasselblad, and a 5x7 portrait camera. Not more. Not less. If I get this camera I don't think I'll drop the Pentax, because it can do some things the Leica can't. Like DOF preview, macro, meter light, and make noise.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    People may not know what kind of brush Michelangelo used, but they do know his work.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I understand.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thomas, part of the joy of photography or being a musician or a bicycle race or any other endeavor that involves gear is the gear itself...To some people it means absolutely nothing, it's just a tool like a hammer. But... to so many of us it is not only about the final result...the print, it is also about the process of capturing the image.

I know from dealing with musicians that a new instrument will cause them to wan to practice more, to spend more time discovering the nuances if the instrument which in turn cause them to be a better musician.
    You don't really need a reason, if it makes you happy get it. You can always sell it or sell something else that sits unused if that helps rationalize the want????

LOL, I love it, because I can feel your angst...I have experienced it...wait do I hear the UPS guy at my door? Gotta go!
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now just get on with it and buy the thing! You know you want it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Me wants it.... me wants the precious. Yes, Smiegle take the precious :-)
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Why do you want a Cadillac DeVille even though your Chevy Impala gets the job done just fine? Because it is a nice and luxurious fricking car!

You want it because it is a fun camera to shoot, feels great in your hands, is well built, simple to use, and is incredibly convenient to have at all times as an every-day shooter. All good attributes. With Leicas, the attraction is not the pix you get from using it. There is far less difference between these and non Leica cameras than most would believe. It is about the actual use of the camera. It is a joy to use well built tools, and the convenience factor combined with the imaging capabilities of 35mm film are a formidable combination. You take this camera when you would not take other cameras, simply because it is not so much of a hassle, yet you still get the image quality you get from a relatively bulky SLR. It is a convenience/luxury item, and you want it for the same reason you want any other convenience/luxury item.

If you are in love with the M4, wait till you try an M3 or M2...or a screwmount, for that matter!
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A voice of reason (huh? Me?!!):
    If you choose your lenses very carefully (maybe also considering the Zeiss line), you could well end up with lenses which are somehow better than your Pentax ones (not to put Pentax down at all!).
    A rangefinder can also bring some qualitative and practical advantages in some situations (though endless arguments can be made whether a Bessa would do just as well).

By all means keep your Pentax kit: A rangefinder does NOT do everything!

At one point you mention the rangefinder patch disappearing in vertical holds, that is a defect! I wear glasses, had the M4-2 and have the M6 (both should have similar RF construction as the M4-P, with the M6 being identical IIRC) and never experienced the rangefinder patch disappearing! Make sure the camera you buy doesn't do that....

Most importantly, enjoy! ;-)
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mr. Bertilsson, if you really want help in resisting temptation, just keep reminding yourself of how teensy-weensy the 35mm negative is. Otherwise, enjoy yourself and have some fun with it.
    Charles Hohenstein

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin