Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,940   Posts: 1,557,431   Online: 857

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rol_Lei Nut View Post
    At one point you mention the rangefinder patch disappearing in vertical holds, that is a defect! I wear glasses, had the M4-2 and have the M6 (both should have similar RF construction as the M4-P, with the M6 being identical IIRC) and never experienced the rangefinder patch disappearing! Make sure the camera you buy doesn't do that....
    Wondering if that could be an odd polarization problem, perhaps with coated glasses?

Lee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Or just getting your hand over/in front of the rangefinder window.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    well for me it's simple. I've held no camera in my hand that feels as good as a leica M2. Also there is no joy as great for me (when it comes to looking through viewfinders) than looking through the finder of a leica m2.
    By the way I'm in the same situation you're in except I have even fewer cameras (I just got rid of my last large format camera) so for me it's leica II, leica M2 and Rolleiflex Standard IV. I'm on my third leica M. I've had an m4 and another m2. I let them go because I thought the same thing: "why have a tool that is so expensive, when I can get the same results using gear that costs 10-20x less"?
    Which could lead to this sentence: "Never sell a leica, you'll just end up with anohter one"
    I know my Leica M2 stays where it belongs... with me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    thomas

i guess your "1 camera 1 lens"
    is now out the window
    i thought you were simplifying
    enjoy yourself, whatever you decide to do ..

john

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I recently got a Leica M6. I sold off some gear I knew I'd never use for stuff I know I will.

A big part of my decision was wanting to go smaller, more compact and more unobtrusive than the usual 35 kit I've carried for some 20+ years.

This may not apply to you, but a few photojournalist type photogs say a camera like a Leica is good because of how it affects others -- they're not so put off by a huge SLR pro kit. For me, that factored into it but I also liked the notion of a much quieter camera, too.

You can't discount the notion of optical quality, either, neg size aside. Just ask: will it help your craft? Would you still use it if you covered up the Leica logo?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    It is definitely not for aesthetic reasons...

But that feeling when you forward the film winding crank, when you focus the lens, or set the aperture... It feels so much more natural and intuitive.
    I think it is for aesthetic reasons, it's just that the aesthetic reasons have to do with more than what comes out on the print.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas,

I enjoy my M2, a nice tool. I wanted something smaller to take along with me in more places and having a lens that's a little faster, the Zeiss Planar 50/2. So far, with printing up to 11x14 I haven't noticed anything to diss the smaller neg...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thomas .... if you can afford it (and a lens), just get it. We all could be using digital, but we all also love the craft of photography. Part of the joy of the craft (at least for me) is in the tools. I used a Mamiya C220 for a while and it worked well, but I never really enjoyed it. I eventually ended up with a Hasselblad. Is it all that much better than the Mamiya? Probably, but not enough to make a huge difference. Do I enjoy the journey more now? Definitely. Enjoy the journey....(:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas -

When holding vertically, my left hand is on top and my right hand usually ends up covering the rangefinder window that is used to capture the ghost image for focusing. You can either adjust where your fingers are or use the thumb for the shutter release which puts the hand in a position that does not cover the rangefinder window.

P.S. You have my permission to buy one.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You have convinced me, you need one...
    Regards
    Charles

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin