Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,502   Posts: 1,543,382   Online: 771

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Well, I was never raised to believe that items can make me happy.
    You and me both bud! But I have since come to experience being experienced on that to all extremes (the have's and the have not's) and have repeatedly found that magic can and will happen when one is "fondling" or otherwise admiring the tools of the trade. This process is meditative and puts the brain into a deep trance like mode seeking to find the better shots, because you're holding a masterpiece, a work of art. It sharpens one's resolve like a hunter hunting prey. I'm just sayin'...
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

mdm

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    It is not the camera you want but something else entirely. Get some of that and all will be forgotten.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To discuss the specific camera rather than theories of acquisition and value, Leicas do some things really well, but certainly lack the versatility of an SLR. However, if as a mature photographer, you've determined that the Leica's strengths (well-known and need not be re-enumerated) work with the images you want to make (ie, 35mm closeups of flower petals aren't your thing), go ahead and get it! Taking it out and shooting with it, as you've had the opportunity to do, is the best proof of whether it'll work for you.

And if you want to stick with 50mm and 90mm, get an M3, or maybe an M2, not an M4-P...or a CL with a 40 and a 90 for ultimate compactness. If you're not quite sure, or only want it for limited use, maybe find a much cheaper used Bessa? Skips the mystique and ultimate fetishist mechanical quality, but gives a lot of use-ability with the ability to mount the same optics.

None of the cameras will result in a massive change in your image quality or shooting method, but rangefinders do lead you to different way of interacting with the world as you photograph. Slight, but noticeably better for some photographers and situations. You look directly at the world and what's in it, not a projection of it.

Not that I think anyone else from another photographer knows or cares what kind of camera you're holding...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    I have actually decided to wait a while. After the romance wore of, and I was able to analyze the results more substantially, I have decided to keep plugging away with the Pentax.
    I literally can't tell a difference in the results, scanned or printed; the differences are, as far as I can judge:
    1. The Leica handles better for every day shooting.
    2. The Leica is wonderfully compact.
    3. The frame spacing is more precise (I have to grin at that one)
    4. The camera definitely works better at slower shutter speeds.
    Other than that, I just cannot justify buying this camera. It just goes to prove how good the Pentax lenses are! But, somehow, I know I will anyway some day. It's just such a sweet camera!

- Thomas

These are the reasons you should reconsider:
    1. The Leica handles better for every day shooting.
    2. The Leica is wonderfully compact.
    3. The frame spacing is more precise (I have to grin at that one)
    4. The camera definitely works better at slower shutter speeds.

No, the results on the film technically cannot be defined. But...The tool is an extension of your eye. If you feel comfortable with the tool, the eye will get better. My photography took on a whole new level once I aquired my FM2 many years ago. Is Nikor glass better then the Rokkor glass I had been using? Not particularly. But the camera became an extension of my view. Even my brother, a pretty good amateur photographer in his own right, noticed one day as I was taking photos at a function... No one notices me with the Nikon, it is so... natural. That is what you described in your reasons.

Are my images technically better when I use my Deardorff than when I use my B&J? Of course not, the glass is the same. But... my view is much better because I feel more comfortable with the equipment. It feels right, it feels like I know how to make the image come to life within the camera body.

I hope you reconsider soon. Your work deserves it.

tim
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin