Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,497   Posts: 1,543,056   Online: 1042

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Why do I want it so bad?

So I'm testing a Leica M4-P, a camera borrowed from a generous fellow photographer. The camera is as it should be - used and wonderful.

I'll hand it to us Leica lovers: It is a marvel to use; a symphony in mechanical perfection, ease of handling, and precision.

My rational side says I don't need one. The other, not so rational, side to me screams I must have this camera, or another one like it.

Why do I want it so bad, when all I am really interested in (rationally) is the print and its quality?

Prints from either look remarkably similar at moderate enlargements of about 6x8 and 9x12. Some negatives cropped to using about 1/2 the negative area at those print sizes.
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    I guess photographers aren't at all immune to the musician-typical Gear Acquisition Syndrome.
    And I know something about that!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Both a Volkswagen and a Ferrari will get you down the road; the ride, however, is much more enjoyable in the Ferrari.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know how do you feel I wanted it also for long time: and on the end I got M6 and 50mm summicron. It is beauty and joy to use - but I don't see diference in print when comparing to nikon F3 (and 50mm or 105/2.5). I print up to 26x40 cm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One aspect I didn't think of is the long term investment. The camera is a little bit newer than the Pentax KX system I use now and about 5x the price tag.

The Leica, to me, feels mechanically more solid, so I would imagine it's more reliable.

One thing that irritates the b-jeebus out of me, though, is that I can't focus the durned thing while in vertical mode AND wearing eye glasses (blind as a bat without them). The ghost image disappears.

But it is lovely, and it handles well. And I will with 99% certainty purchase one.

Just making sure I'm not the only one feeling this way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    But it is lovely, and it handles well. And I will with 99% certainty purchase one.

Just making sure I'm not the only one feeling this way.
    Start meditate about which lens you will buy first

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You mean like a mantra?

Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Start meditate about which lens you will buy first

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Don't do it Thomas! Just kidding...I like to rock the boat now and then. ;-0
    Personally I have too many cameras (according to my "other") but if I could afford it... :-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It comes down to how much the confidence in your system plays into the image making process. Hassleblad, Leica, Mamiya, all have their following for many reasons. What we want and what we need are different, but all play a factor into the equation. Having known and admired your work for some time now, the camera is the least important aspect that I can see. However, if a specific camera helps you fulfill the way that you see and helps you convey your vision, then it's a no brainer, go for it. IF not, move on. Now if it appeals purely on an aethetic basis, that's different and always down to personal preference and no one but you can decide that in the end. What do you need in a camera? Reliability, consistency, accuracy, build quality. A leica will deliver all of that and more. However, I doubt it will change the quality of your images, as you are up there right now with the tools you currently use.

I know you want 'The Precious' though, so your mileage may vary and all advice aside. You can also treat yourself when you need to. You work, and work hard. You've also had a tough year. SO I'd say f**k it.. I'm treating myself! :-)
    Last edited by Andrew Moxom; 04-12-2010 at 03:29 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lol I think this is pretty common with us photographers - that Gear Acquisition Syndrome isn't just for musicians. I mean, remember when you got your first lens? and then your second... your third... probably followed soon after. And not because you needed them

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin