Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,892   Posts: 1,520,856   Online: 1212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Konica II w/ 50mm f/2.8 Hexanon-any info?

I came upon one of these cameras (a Konica II w/ 50mm f/2.8 Hexanon lens) today in our local thrift store.

It came with a very complete kit, which included a fitted leather case, Auto-Up closeup accessory, pc synch adapter, wide-angle and telephoto lens adapters, small Sekonic LC-2 selenium meter that fits on the cold shoe, several filters, a lens shade and a wonderful leather carry bag with airline stickers ("TCA-DC8!).

I've googled the camera, which leads to this helpful camerapedia article:

Konica II and III link

The camera seems quite functional, although the adjustments show signs of being stored for a long time. It is also in very nice cosmetic condition.

Does anyone here have more information, or direct experience, or a manual for this camera? Does anyone have any idea of it's worth (eBay completed listings were not very extensive).

Thanks in advance for your help.

Here's a link to a photo of the camera as shown on the camerapedia site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mfobrie...l-camerapedia/
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Konica made three fixed-lens rangefinders in the 1950s: Konica I, II and III. There are some slight variations within each model.

The Konica I is the simplest of the cameras and had at least two, possibly three lens choices, and the Konica III usually had an f/2.0 lens but came in different body styles. The fit and finish of the Konica III is excellent. It a left-handed lever that winds the film and tensions the shutter.

The Konica II sits nicely between the two. It's very solidly built with a couple rangefinder. Fit and finish is between the Konica I and Konica III. I think it's a nice camera, and if you found once that's a complete kit you should definitely go for it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    You may find this info on Dante Stella's site of interest:

http://www.dantestella.com/technical/koni3.html

I have a IIIa myself, and it's a fine camera, excellent lens. Greg Weber CLA'd it for me, now it's like new.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for your help on this.

I figured that Greg Weber might be a good source for a CLA (but hadn't checked yet with him).

Now to decide - keep and use it, or sell it to feed the rest of my GAS.

I'll shoot a roll or two before deciding.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Medium Format

Konica CLA

I would also recommend Mr. Greg Weber. I obtained a IIIa which looked really good physically. However, the shutter stuck at the slower speeds. Mr. Weber cla'd it plus disconnected the linked aperture / shutter speed. I now use he camera all the time. he left hand shutter cocking / film advance is simply great. Can't believe all camera didn't work this way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I also have a Konica 111 with the F2 lens, beautifully made, and I had the shutter on mine CLA'd. The repairman commented on the quality of construction of this camera, said it was really top notch.
    The Hexanon lenses on these cameras caused quite a stir when they first came out, the sharpness that they achieved put the established names on notice.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looks like a great camera. A very good buy!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My Konica II, besides being beautiful and a joy to use, has an incredible lens. Don't be tempted to get rid of it. Cameras like this are few and far between and belong in the permanently kept category.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike Butkus has the manual for the Konica II on his website. Here's the link:
    http://www.butkus.org/chinon/konica/.../konica_ii.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks again folks.

I've got a second test roll awaiting processing. We will see.
    Matt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin