Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,747   Posts: 1,515,669   Online: 761

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Leica weather protection?

How is the weather protection in leicas? Particularly the M6? Have anyone here used them in really bad weather?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are no seals in the camera but access for water is pretty limited by tight tolerances. Water access points would be VF windows, sync plugs, beneath wind lever & SS dials.
    I've read about them being usable in the rain without harm but wouldn't buy one if I knew it had been used that way.
    If I'm out in inclement weather, mine(M3) is inside my jacket & out for moments at a time.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Like all classical cameras, they will survive a bit of (short term) dampness, but aren't made to be dunked or seriously rained on...

In seriouly wet situations, keep it in a bag when not used, or buy a flexible "waterproof" bag.

At all costs, avoid splashes & sprays from salt water... Very lethal!
    M6, SL, SL2, R5, P6x7, SL3003, SL35-E, F, F2, FM, FE-2, Varex IIa

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Unless you purchase a specfic built 'water resistant' camera, water intrusion from rain will probably be your biggest problem. My M6 and M7's routinely go from sub freezing temperature back into heated housing wiht no problems but for rain I have either zip lock bags or carry a Leica Large R bag that has an inner water resistant seal. These cameras are not designed for water immersion and if used in a rain storm, that's the same thing. Snow seems to ok if as Posted you carry the camera stored in your jacket and take it out for exposures.
    I'm afraid that there is no universale statement that one can make about M's in 'really bad weather' because I don't know what you mean by 'really bad weather'.-Dick

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

Use an umbrella, deep hood and point the lens down if there is a lot of wind. Wipe off any excess when in sheltered area.

But if you take the camera out from central heating on a cold day unless you keep it warm it will have internal condensation when it get to dew point, unless you store it in a dry box indoor, with seals and fresh silica gel.

Internal condensation can compromise the lube or cause corrosion. The electronics should be conformally coated to protect to a degree, but the battery contacts wont be protected.

On a wet day the camera will go down to the water temperature, unless your hand keeps it warmer...

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I read of a fellow on RF forum that used to use his M3 in the rain, and then stick it in the oven to dry it out again to keep using it, if he wasn't using hyperbole

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin