Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,162   Online: 703

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Bessa-R? verdict?

This camera catches my eye as a poor man's Leica. The Bessa-R 35mm lens packages go pretty cheap. I'm looking for something in this range that will produce good quality 8x10 prints. The only thing with the Bessa-R that worries me is the shutter. I'm looking for something cheap, not too classic, and has german glass (probably wishful thinking!)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My friend has a Bessa R and loves it. Just bought a third lens for it, in fact. That said, how stuck are you on a rangefinder and how stuck are you on German glass? I still say a used Olympus SLR is about the best value out there. Well designed, great glass, and small. Don't discount things like classic Canon rangefinders, either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I really like german glass for 35mm. I spent years with a nikon 8008s and thought it took great photos. I then upgraded to a Leica M6, and when I got my first slides back from the M6 I was awestruck to say the least. My slides were jumping off the table the were so sharp and '3-D'. Maybe the question is how does the 35mm Bessa lens (low end german glass lens?) comapre to a nikon or cannon lens?..

hbc

Images
    the bessa r is great, very compact and easy to use, just you and the camera, it's great for street shooting. i was very happy with my till i droped it and the range finder whent way out of wack, now i use it zone focusing, i have read that the bessa r 2 is much more sturdy with internal metal parts as opossed to plastic in the bessa r. the best info on the bessa can be found at cameraquest.com by stephan ghandy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The R2 appears to be twice the camera, but also twice the price so it's probably not an option. We have a Bessa dealer in town so I'll go have a look at them..

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I love my Bessa R. Made by Cosina. Uses the same body/shutter as some of the low end Nikons.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean, I have an R2, its great, love it, lenses are probably 90% of a Leica (good enogh for me) and it takes Leica lenses. If you are interested its for sale, I bought an M6 at a bargin price recently and some things have to go.
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by livemoa
    Sean, I have an R2, its great, love it, lenses are probably 90% of a Leica (good enogh for me) and it takes Leica lenses. If you are interested its for sale, I bought an M6 at a bargin price recently and some things have to go.
    PM'd ya

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean,

This is a site that sells and distributes voightlander in US. Lots of info about lenses, cameras, closeouts etc. Might be worth a look.

http://www.cameraquest.com/inventor.htm
    "Fundamentally I think we need to rediscover a non-ironic world"
    Robert Adams

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    http://www.hksupplies.com/ this place also has Voigtlander stuff and ships worldwide.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin