Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,708   Posts: 1,548,551   Online: 1169

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    That's probably what I'll do. But I'll be doing it with the SLRs that I already have, rather than buying a rangefinder to do the same thing.
    The advantages of a rangefinder have very little to do with the viewfinder itself - in my opinion. There are differences of course that are advantageous and disadvantageous, but there are plenty of other reasons to use one. Almost instantaneous shutter response is a big one. Small size and generally good ergonomics are another.

The viewfinder in a RF is just a tool and isn't even accurate magnification or *angle of view*-wise once you start going wide or long.

All cameras are inherently supposed to not get in the way and the more you use a given type the less you keep thinking about how to use it. One just uses it.

SLRs are advantageous once you go very wide or very long. RFs are generally best wide to short telephoto. If it means anything I usually use both a RF and SLR at the same time. The approach is pretty much the same - get close, move something until the focus locks in how you want it, press the shutter.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The advantages of a rangefinder have very little to do with the viewfinder itself - in my opinion. There are differences of course that are advantageous and disadvantageous, but there are plenty of other reasons to use one. Almost instantaneous shutter response is a big one. Small size and generally good ergonomics are another.

The viewfinder in a RF is just a tool and isn't even accurate magnification or *angle of view*-wise once you start going wide or long.

All cameras are inherently supposed to not get in the way and the more you use a given type the less you keep thinking about how to use it. One just uses it.

SLRs are advantageous once you go very wide or very long. RFs are generally best wide to short telephoto. If it means anything I usually use both a RF and SLR at the same time. The approach is pretty much the same - get close, move something until the focus locks in how you want it, press the shutter.
    All valid points why to make a choice for a RF camera. Where IMO the RF camera has more strong points in the W.A. range.
    One of the reasons I bought years ago the M7 0,58. I like to work with 28mm very much so only this M will give a good frame on 28mm. My smallest tele is the Summarit 2,5/75mm which is the latest M lens I bought. It's already a compromise on an 0,58 but not too bad at all.

When having used SLR on AE mode the switch to M7 in AE is neglectible. In practice it's easy to take a small bag with a few lenses and relative low weight. It's a pity I did not make this decision 30 years earlier.

Shooter
    Multi Format

Voigtlaender Vito CLR

I have bought one for about 10EUR.

This camera really does have a brilliant real size viewfinder and you can use it keeping another eye open.
    Lanthar Lens is also superb.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by babaluma View Post
    I have bought one for about 10EUR.
    Wecome To APUG Babaluma !

Ron

Shooter
    35mm
    I have a Zorki 4K sitting here and the viewfinder 1:1 with any 50mm lens, look through the viewfinder with on eye, with the other open and i can't see any difference between my eyes, it doesn't even have any frame lines in the viewfinder, lovely and clear. Uses 39mm thread mount so you could use some old Leica glass on it, if you are so inclined.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Though quite uncommon, the Topcon 35S, 35L, and 35JL all have 1:1 finders. The first doesn't have "EV" coupling on the lens, the latter two do. First two have f/2 lenses, third has an "economy" f/2.8 lens.

Finder has Albada framelines that are quite bright, with parallax correction.

The Topcor lens, like most Topcors, is excellent.

The construction of the body is excellent, wonderful finish, a "tank" like most Topcon cameras. Top-quality Seikosha shutter. It's a two-stroke wind lever, with an odd thunk on the second stroke.

Not common, price is unpredictable.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I still use a restored Nikon S2 with 50mm, and am accustomed to the 1:1 finder, I need nothing else. Bessa's are junk.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Timestep View Post
    I still use a restored Nikon S2 with 50mm, and am accustomed to the 1:1 finder, I need nothing else. Bessa's are junk.
    And that would make my Zorki 4K??...

Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hi

'Even Cheaper junk' to a Nikon rfdr user.

Note I have a Zorki 4k as well.

Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format

Sport Finder/Wire Frame

Not to hijack the thread, but I saw the cute little wireframe finder a few messages back. Leading me to wonder,,, what ever happened to the sport finder? Did the SLR kill it off?

Thinking back,,, I actually used one quite a bit on a tlr in the 60's, but now seem totally fixated on the focus ring to the exclusion of all things rational when I'm shooting my 35.

Hummm,,, Makes my brain hurt. I wonder if that's not part of the quality of photographs that one seems to "feel"? Getting rid of all that extra stuff in the finder frame.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin