Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,464   Online: 1036

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by scootermm
    kodak retina models can be had for fairly cheap. I have a Retina IIIc and love it.
    solid as a rock. and the pictures are great.
    ahhhhh...I have a Kodak Retinette IB which is very nice. I take it with me on every vacation along with a goooood load of B/W film. Damn I love it.

Morten

Shooter
    Multi Format

cheap old rangefinders

In addition to Canon GIII, Olympus had a couple of compact rfdr cameras. 35SP w/1.7 40mm, 35RC w/2.8 42mm neither were battery dependent except for meter, both were leaf shutter & very quiet. Optics similar to Canon.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Don't forget the FED-2. It may look like something worth money from a distance, but the cyrillic lettering puts most thieves off. Which is good, because the camera actually is a lot better than its reputation! Again, a camera + 50mm/3.5 Elmar copy costs you less than a lenscap for a real Elmar.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have several of the Yashica Electro 35 cameras. I had to replace the light seals on all of them. As the others said, it is easy to do and there are some kits out there with instructions.

Another choice is the smaller Olympus 35RC. Automatic or manual settings, exposure lock. http://www.cameraquest.com/olyrc.htm

John

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Thanks everyone. I checked the lightseals last night, and yes, they are crumbling, especially around the take-up spool. I will see if I can fix it myself.

I did have a surf around looking at the various alternatives suggested and I really liked the look of the Soviet cameras - the FED 4 in particular. Has anyone used them? How do the Soviet rf's compare to the Canon/Olympus?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Fed is a good camera with a few buts and ifs. The optics are not bad at all. The body sturdy and heavy and mechanically a bit unrefined, the construction a bit sloppy.So check for loose screws etc. I used to own a couple of Feds and Zorkis but never used them much -and for B&W only- as I found operating them rather cumbersome.
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper
    Thanks everyone. I checked the lightseals last night, and yes, they are crumbling, especially around the take-up spool. I will see if I can fix it myself.

I did have a surf around looking at the various alternatives suggested and I really liked the look of the Soviet cameras - the FED 4 in particular. Has anyone used them? How do the Soviet rf's compare to the Canon/Olympus?
    I have a collection of FEDs - and I use them. They are somewhat clunky but are good picture takers and the Lanthanum glass lenses (Industar-61 f2.8/52mm), standard equipment on the FED 4 and FED 5 are very good lenses, indeed. They (FED 4s & FED 5s) typically sell for less than $50. new.

Russian/Ukrainian quality control is - problematic. That is one reason why the prices are low.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a FED-2, wit ha FED 50/3.5 collapsible lens. Built like a tank (T-52?), has a very long-baseline rangefinder which at least in this case is very, very precise. An added bonus for me is htat the dioptre correction on the viewfinder goes all the way to -4. So I'm actually able to see through the viewfinder - which is about a first.

Didi I mention that I also have a large number of FED, Industar-22 and Industar-50 lenses, all collapsible and 50mm/f:3.5? I promise to test the accuracy of the focusing of any lens before I foist it off on someone else
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Collapsible....

Yes? I've been thinking of finding one on EBay m'self, to put on my IIIc and make it pocketable.

(Factoid: my Canon GIII is almost exactly the same rectangular size as my PDA, and lighter. Makes it hard to beat)

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi. I am new to APUG but here's my two penn'orth.
    I have a Zorki 4K which I have owned from new. It is easy to use, reliable and built like a tank. Just remember never to adjust the shutter speed unless the camera is wound on,(I believe FEDs are similar in this respect). Easily available on ebay at very low prices.
    I would also recommend the Olympus XA. A very small full frame rangefinder with an almost silent shutter. I use an XA2 regularly, the only difference being the XA2 has zone focussing.
    Good luck in your search.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin