Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,527   Posts: 1,572,386   Online: 1137

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm very happy with a pair of Kiev 2a/4a RF's, the Contax II clones made
    at the Arsenal factory in Ukraine. They are cheap (USD 24-30 on EBay), have
    a good Zeiss clones lenses (35mm f/2.8, 50 f/1.5 f/2; 85mm f/2; 135mm f/4)
    and are robust and reliable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Look in ebay for INTERSLICE, he sells a light-seal replacement kit that is excellent.
    He charges something like $7 for the US, he may charge you an extra dollar to send overseas

Quote Originally Posted by Snapper
    Thanks everyone. I checked the lightseals last night, and yes, they are crumbling, especially around the take-up spool. I will see if I can fix it myself.

I did have a surf around looking at the various alternatives suggested and I really liked the look of the Soviet cameras - the FED 4 in particular. Has anyone used them? How do the Soviet rf's compare to the Canon/Olympus?
    Mama took my APX away.....

gma
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are really serious about old and cheap how about the Argus C3. They are Bakelite with a lot of shiny chrome- really a Deco industrial design piece. You will stand out in a crowd. The 1950's & 60's models had a coated f/3.5 three element lens. They sell for $20 to $50 in the US. The C4 and C44 ( poor man's Leica) are upgraded models with f/2.8 & a few interchangeable lenses are available. They cost about $75 in the US. I would avoid the C2 and early C3s with uncoated lens unless you are after a retro look. Also avoid the C3 Matchmatic with an exposure value system rather than f stops. Everyone should use a C3 sometime.
    Last edited by gma; 08-04-2004 at 06:18 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Well, I ended up getting a Fed-4 for £15 on Ebay. It works perfectly, is in great condition and the pics aren't too bad either.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fed-4? lucky you! I got scammed by some dude in Russia 3 years ago.

I got 2 Zeiss Contessas (non folding) and while the lenses are only 3 element Tessar I like the cameras a lot and the pictures have a nice look.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My favorite "pocket" rangefinder is the Retina IIa. It doesn't have a built in light meter, but the 50mm f/2 Schneider Xenon lens is fantastic.
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Retina II with 47mm Ektar. As sharp as my Nikon AIS lens (at f8-f11). Small, easy to use, 15.00 at a photo show. Since all the leather has been stripped (giving it a retro industrial look), nobody's gonna steal it.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I like My contessa LK, LB and SLKs.
    While they have Tessars only (4element/3 group) the camera itself is well made, durable, easy to adjust and clean (Thanks Mike Elek).
    The light meters go bad afer a while, but I've found that compensating (i.e. setting the ISO 2 or 3 stops higher) helps a lot.

Here a pic with that cheap rangefinder.

EDITED
    Last edited by titrisol; 08-10-2004 at 08:47 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Error in Tessar formula, Obrigado Vasquez!

Shooter
    35mm
    Titrisol: The Tessars are 4 element/3 group designs with very good contraste
    and high resolving power, your contessas have great optics

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought a 1962 Voigtlander Vito CLR on Ebay last week for £22. So far it seems a very capable camera.

It has:

2.8/50 'Lanthar' lens. (The version with the Skopar lens is more desirable but harder to find) f2.8 to f22.
    Built in metering (needle match).
    Prontor LK between the lens leaf shutter (so it is very quiet).
    Speeds: B 1/15, 1/30, 1/60, 1/125, 1/250 and 1/500.
    Film speeds: 10 ASA (!) to 800 ASA.
    Coupled rangefinder focusing from 3.5 feet to infinity.
    PC connection and flash sync at all speeds from 1/15 to 1/500.
    Cable release socket.
    Self timer.
    Dimensions are W= 5 1/8", H=3 1/4", D=2 7/8" (W=130mm x H=82mm x D=72mm).

Find a good one and you've got a very solid little camera.

Attached is a test shot I took last week. I messed up the development, but as you can see its a good lens.
    Last edited by Andy K; 11-06-2004 at 10:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin