Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,713   Posts: 1,483,023   Online: 697

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have spent the last few years reprinting (and printing negatives that I never printed) 40 years worth of primary 35mm negatives. Given inmprovements in film quaility, good and bad darkroom set ups, negatives machined process by UPI and other wire services, the shots made with a Cannon 7S or Lieca GIII still stand out over the shots made with Nikons or my Pentex 42mm system. A rangefinder is much more hand holdable in low light, quite, and the Lieca was rock soild. Even my Retina III C will give most SLR sa run its money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty71 View Post
    All of my Yashica Electros died from a sticky pad. Sooner or later they're all gonna go.
    The Yashica Electro "Pad of Death" - a bad rubber pad used on the shutter release that slowly dissolves. I replaced the pads on my Electros, there is a step by step procedure on how to do it if you are willing to open the case.

--John

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just got a Konica Auto S2 from my dad. It seems to be a pretty solid camera. Better than the GS: even with no battery the shutter fires at all speeds
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm
    I recently picked up an Auto S2 as well - it's quickly becoming my favourite camera - the lens is really tremendous.

I use a hearing aid battery in mine, type 675, available from most pharmacies and Wal-Marts (actually first I bought a WeinCell from a camera store, which is the same except it has 2 holes instead of 4, and supposedly lasts longer, but mine was DOA), and I ended up using the removable metal ring around the WeinCell to help the hearing aid battery fit better in the battery compartment. If you don't have a WeinCell and are having fit issues I suppose tin foil would do the job as well.

I think it's definitely worth having the battery - the meter on the Auto S2 in my experience thus far is really very accurate (I've put a roll of slide film through it, it turned out very well).

My only complaints - the ISO selection only goes to 400, and it's only shutter priority and manual - no aperture priority, which I prefer. But, for a camera made in the late 1960's, and something I picked up CLA'd for under US$100, it's really quite good.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you want something cheap and fairly capable, small, all mechanical and with interchangeable lenses, you could look at the Braun Super Paxettes. 35, 50, 85 and 135mm lenses are available, with coupled RF. If you get something like the Super IIBL you get a fairly accurate light meter built in as well.

The only real downside is the lack of a film wind knob - you have a rewind lever, which is a bit slow.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I just bought (worked off) an Olympus DC from a friend. Pretty cool take everywhere kind of camera. 40mm lens is as good as pretty much anything and it's quite small. That entire line of 35's were great, it seems. The DC is cheap like peanuts. $25.

Shooter
    35mm
    I have the Voigtlander VF101. Its really a Rollei made by Rollei Singapore. For the price, its a good camera and the meter can use commonly available zinc hearing aid batteries. And it does look cool.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Since I am not the one that dug up an old thread I don't feel bad posting in it.

I have a Konica S2 that I bought on the bay for 20 bucks. It looked really nice but the mirror had fallen off and the aperture blades were stuck fast. I fixed it myself which was a very gratifying experience aswell as using one of Jon Goodman's seal kits (great!). It is an awesome camera and the Hexanon lens is great. The only draw back to the S2 is its size which is about as big as my Konica T3 SLR.

For my go everywhere camera I use an Olympus 35ED that was a complete impulse buy at an antique mall. Completely auto exposure which I didn't realize when I bought it and I was kind of put off but I have grown to love it. The 2.8 Zuiko lens is sharp as anything and finder is bright. It really is a great little camera, although I am just waiting for a cheap XA to come along I am not in a hurry.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by NormanFX View Post
    I have the Voigtlander VF101. Its really a Rollei made by Rollei Singapore.
    Great camera, but here's more about the lineage. Although production of the final cameras was by Rollei in Singapore, it really began life in Germany as a Zeiss Ikon product, after Zeiss Ikon had fully taken control of Voigtlander.

This is a shared design with the last Zeiss Ikon Contessa -- the Contessa S 312, which arrived on the market just as Zeiss Ikon shut down in the early 1970s.

Voigtlander was sold to Rollei, which then produced the VF101 and used the Voigtlander Icarex cameras as the basis for its own line of SLRs (the SL series). Throughout the 1970s, there were always a Voigtlander and a Rolleiflex version of its SLRs, ending with the SL 35 E. There was no comparable Voigtlander version of the SL 2000/3000 series.

Interestingly enough, Rollei never produced its own branded version of the VF101, but it probably didn't feel a need to do that, as it had its highly successful Rollei 35 cameras (Rollei 35, 35T[E], 35S[E] and the lesser B35, C35 and 35LED), as well as its Rollei XF 35.

The VF101 is a great little camera and can be easily converted to use a 3-volt lithium battery.

Shooter
    35mm Pan
    Hi,I'd recommend a Kodak Retina IIc.Solid,well made with GREAT glass.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin