Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,640   Online: 789

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Cheap old 35mm rangefinders

Can anyone recommend any old, cheap 35mm RF's - ie less that £100 ($150). I need one to take places I wouldn't want to take an expensive camera, and I want it small and inconspicuous with just a 50mm lens. I had a Yashica Electro GT to take to Glastonbury this year, but it suddenly developed light leaks, so needs replacing. Before I buy another Electro, is there anything else I should consider?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If the light leaks are because crumbling old lights seals why don't you replace them?
    Hans
    Digital is best taken with a grain of silver.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Snapper
    I had a Yashica Electro GT to take to Glastonbury this year, but it suddenly developed light leaks, so needs replacing. Before I buy another Electro, is there anything else I should consider?
    Hope this isnt too obvious, but have you checked why it's leaking light? My Electro needed the light seals replaced as soon as i bought it - it is a REALLY easy job to do. You can buy the material from an ebay seller called "interslice" VERY VERY cheap and he manages to get it sent across the atlantic in about 3 days for less than £1 p&p (not sure how he does that) - the stuff come with very clear and concise intructions on how to remove the old and install the new. this is of course assuming that the light seals are the reason.

cheers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yes replace the light seals. I have an electro 35 that failed electrically and have replaced it with a Voigtlander Vitomatic II. Very small and light weight and built like a tank. One other camera that you may want to consider is the Konica Auto S 2 or S 1.6 both very good range finders and all are available on E-bay at bargain prices.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have a little Voigtlander vf101, perfect in everyway for a small rangefinder and the meter is spot on, however I have found very light film scratches so am investigating that. You can see some pics taken with my vf101 at http://www.fineartphotography.co.nz/gallery -it's in your price range too. Search ebay for "vf101" if your interested..

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    The light leaks show up as fairly sharp vertical bands about 1/4 of a negative's width evenly spaced throughout the film. At first I thought I may have accidentally opened the film back, but I ran a whole film through with the lens cap on and got the same problem.

Any ideas? Is this fixable?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    look at the light seals ... are they all sticky and gooey? - if so, replace them!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Canon GIII QL17

Canon GIII QL17 - you can typically buy 3 of them for the cost of a Leica lens cap. Pick your favorite. I got a pretty nice one for $30, smelled like cigars for a while but sharp as a tack and much quieter than an M6. Nice finder too.

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    kodak retina models can be had for fairly cheap. I have a Retina IIIc and love it.
    solid as a rock. and the pictures are great.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    A friend of mine has just picked up a canon (not sure of the model) off ebay for £65. The only thing he has found wrong with it is the PC socket doesn't work. The bargains are out there if you look.
    [size=1]the all new darkplanet photoblog[/size][size=1]
    [/size]

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin