Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,821   Posts: 1,581,841   Online: 1141

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

love it

I really like mine, best $30 I ever spent. and its bang on for velvia 50 slides. lens is nice and sharp, the yahica mg-1 is great too maybe even cheaper. but if I got another rangefinder it would be a mamiya 6

Shooter
    35mm
    its the Canonet QL 17 GIII

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    I got a QL17 GIII. It's pretty cool, except I think the shutter is running a bit slow. The couple things I noticed are that it is smaller and lighter than my OM2, the shutter is running a bit slow and it doesn't focus very close. Also, the shutter and aperture adjustments are too fiddly to operate without looking. There is no DOF scale, and finally, I haven't figured out how to turn it off. I've been leaving it on manual mode hoping that the meter is disengaged that way.
    You turn it off with the lens cap!

Shooter
    Large Format
    A working FED II or III may be worth looking into.

-30-

Shooter
    35mm
    Buy a used Leica. With a lens. Try it. If you don't like the camera, you can probably sell it for just about what you paid for it. That way, you won't find yourself buying about 4-5 other brands before you decide that what you really wanted was a Leica rangefinder, after all.

Don't ask me how I know this.

With best regards.

Stephen

Shooter
    35mm
    I've got to second the voice for the Konica Auto S2...they are a lovely thing to use, and that Hexanon lens........
    I've also got a Voigtlander Vito CLR which is a lovely thing...results from them are quite different to a Konica, the lens is not as sharp, but it has a lovely colour rendition and it is wonderful for monochrome too. Good portrait lens.

Shooter
    35mm
    I really REALLY regret selling my Canonet QL17 G-III
    I had it converted to use modern px625 batteries and cleaned it and then sold it for 2.5x what i paid for it + fix cost. sooooo much sellers remorse

to answer your question: yes, get a QL17 G-III. They are pretty cheap and they are fantastic cameras
    Toledo Camera Trader and photojournalist

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Canon QL17GIII is a great way to get a feel for rangefinders. I think the lens is "pretty good".

You'll be spoiled by the camera. You get parallax correction, a short-throw, easy to find focusing lever and short single-throw advance. QL lets you get the next roll in very quickly.

Replace the seals they'll be gummy. You also will want to find a 625 mercury battery replacement though it will operate on alkaline.

I used it for a while taking family snapshots and found a "statistically significant" increase in keepers. This led me to believe for myself that rangefinders were the way I wanted to go.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My first range finder camera was an Argus C3. I like it very much, it is definitely independent of batteries. My next one was a Yashica Electro 35 GS. I also found a Canonet 28. My next 2 that I acquired are a Kodak Retina IIa and a Kodak 35, both have issues about focusing and need some work so they have not had any film run through them yet. I got really lucky on my C3 as it takes fantastic pictures, I hear some of them have somewhat poor lenses. My Yashica is nice and has had the most amount of film go through it. The Canonet 28 is very simple when set in automatic, the focus is fast as it only turns about 35 degrees for the full range of focus. My total outlay for all of these cameras is $19 USD. The Canonet 28 is the second smallest of my range finders with the Retina IIa being the smallest. I prefer the Yashica over the Canonet because of the aperture priority.

Shooter
    35mm
    I like my QL17 GIII almost as much as my Leica CL. 90% of the quality at 10% of the price.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin