Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,791   Online: 701

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Most of the single use cameras are fairly wide angle - perhaps around 35mm so you will need a supplementary negative lens on the front to widen the view a bit.

When I was experimenting with the 65mm lens for my 6x12 camera I initially mounted it on an old 6x6 folder body (without the bellows or door). In order to get the viewfinder to show what the 65mm lens was presenting to the film I just taped a lens element from another viewfinder to the front.

If you know as much about optical theory as I do (almost none) then there is a lot of trial and error involved. It also helps if you have lots of spare parts from previous camera and lens repair attempts!

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    There was a article on this kind of topic (Cosina's rangefinder "accessory business") by Dante Stella, and I totally agree with what he says.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Well, I partly disagree. While I don't like to put many accessories on my Ikon, I do put up with the 21mm external finder for my Skopar to get... what?

A non-retrofocus wide angle set-up. And THAT is the one thing that rangefinders do better than SLRs... it might be more clumsy to operate, but in the end it's the image quality that counts.

And boy did the tiny little Skopar blow both my EF 17-40 L and my EF 20/2.8 into the weeds. To say nothing about the stealth factor...
    Photon Counter

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by kossi008 View Post
    And boy did the tiny little Skopar blow both my EF 17-40 L and my EF 20/2.8 into the weeds. To say nothing about the stealth factor...
    I shoot Canon New F-1 with 20mm F2.8 FDn(New FD) lens, and that combination is not compact, but it's still very practical in many ways. I have Leica M3, but I only use one lens that is an old 50mm Summicron because I don't think it's practical to switch a lens which requires an external viewfinder.

So, I guess we do what we do, and the choices we make are different...

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    So, I guess we do what we do, and the choices we make are different...
    Couldn't have said it better.

The FD 20/2.8 might even be better than the EF, the latter looks to be a new design, and in the early EOS days, often those redesigns were not made to improve the optics but to accomodate the AF...
    Photon Counter

6x9

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    The problem is that I don't like ultra wide distortion.

I had a 17-40 from canon. The thing is huge, the quality is OK, but it makes the lines curvy. For some reason, when I have a fridge in the corner of my photo, I like it to be straight. It's very important to me.

There's a distagon 21mm from zeiss, but I'd have to live 10 years on noodles to save up for it.
    Get a C Biogon T* 4,5/21 ZM. I own one and love it.
    "and exhibits virtually no distortion" This is true for the most part. Plus it is small and the finder is the best.

Unless you are getting a TS-E from Canon, you are going to end up in distortion world.

The Distagon T* 21mm F2.8 has a lot of distortion so I don't know why you mentioned it and not wanting distortion together.
    I have changed my password and changed my email to a random email. This is forum seppuku. Good bye!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x9 View Post
    Get a C Biogon T* 4,5/21 ZM. I own one and love it.
    "and exhibits virtually no distortion" This is true for the most part. Plus it is small and the finder is the best.

Unless you are getting a TS-E from Canon, you are going to end up in distortion world.

The Distagon T* 21mm F2.8 has a lot of distortion so I don't know why you mentioned it and not wanting distortion together.
    Oh, I didn't mean to mention distagon in reference to "no distortion"

It's just many regard it as the ultimate SLR wide angle, so I mentioned it in regards to the "it's easier to compose via SLR viewfinder"

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used the 18mm Distagon for a while - didn't find it anything special compared to the well-known Nikkor WA lenses out there. It was a decent lens though - but relative worth surely didn't match price.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

6x9

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrey View Post
    Do you know of any point and shoots with a 20mm lens?

The only one I know is vivitar wide and slim.
    Ricoh GR 21 has a 21mm lens.
    I have changed my password and changed my email to a random email. This is forum seppuku. Good bye!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by 6x9 View Post
    Ricoh GR 21 has a 21mm lens.
    I looked at ebay. Apparently only 4000 were ever made and they range from 1000 to 1500$

That's more than my whole film camera collection.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin