Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,302   Posts: 1,536,219   Online: 685

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    That is great feedback, thank you everyone.

I'll probably pick up a FED 2 to try but it will be a lower priority purchase instead of something I go out of my way to buy. I think I was fishing for something that let me justify purchasing one now instead of waiting for one to show up here or on RFF. I seem to be collecting a lot of rangefinders but I want to be sure they're ones I'll use frequently. I'll hold off on buying one until I can also pick up either a J9 or J12.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    ...I just found a reasonable deal on a J12. Opps.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    [QUOTE=mgb74;1009197]I have a FED2, Zorki4, Canon GIII, and Minolta 7s. Advantages of a FSU over a compact RF are:

Interchangeable lenses (as you stated) - but how many FSU owners have more than 1 lens
    Makes you look like a real photographer - "Is that a Leica?"
    Easy to repair - not only easier but you get more practice
    Better in a street fight - Would you rather be swinging a Zorki or a Canonet?

In a street fight I would prefer an Omega 100: larger, heavier and with sticky out knobs that could do extra damage, and still take photographs afterwards.

35mm Nikon F

35mm RF argus C3, wicked corners

David "pacifist photographer" Chorley

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think my choice for a street fight would be the Newton Speed-Vue 4x5 I borrowed a few months ago. I wish I'd thought to weigh it while I had it; it's a whopping hunk of cast metal, heavy enough to be uncomfortable to carry around by the convenient built-in handle. Nice camera, on the whole, but it handles like it was built for King Kong's personal use!

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If it's any help in your quest Brian, I recently picked up a FED 2 for £8 on the bay with a rather used I26m lens. I already had an I61 L/D, J8 and J12 (used with a couple of Zorki 4 bodies) and the FED 2 body worked perfectly.

They can be picked up occasionally for next to nothing and if you get a dud, just look up another and use the dud for spares.

I also use a 35RC, 35SP, a variety of Yashica RFs and a Super Isolette but I have a soft spot for the Russians...!

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Brian, have a look at a Zorki 6 perhaps, lever wind and hinged back, wide base with very good patch.
    Generally i have found the Zorki speed adjustments hard to use compared to either Keiv or Fed. Contax mount lens seem to be lower priced than LTM. Fed2 is generally regarded as one of the most reliable.
    regards
    Craig

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I actually looked at the FED 2, Zorki 6, and Zorki 4k. From past experience, I know I am more likely to use smaller cameras (even if the size difference isn't huge ie Canonet QL 17 GIII over the Lynx 14) so I figured the FED 2 was a better bet. I would've considered one of the earlier cameras but didn't really want to deal with bottom loading and the split viewfinder/rangefinder.

In the end, the FED 2 is the only camera from the line that I've actually held which was also a big factor. I have one on the way now from Bob Eskridge. This will be my first interchangeable lens rangefinder; hopefully the J12/I61 L/D pair will be enough make the camera stand out relative to my other rangefinders.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a FED-2 and a Kiev-IV. While I think the Kiev is a better build camera, I usually default to the FED because I have an Orion-15 28mm lens for it.

The only Orion-15 in a Kiev mount I've ever seen go by on the bay was too pricey for my taste.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I like both FSU and "modern" Japanese RFs. My FED-2 (two of them) have been leagues more reliable. The viewfinder is not as nice as that of a, for example, Minolta Hi-Matic 9... but it's not that much worse. And it doesn't break down on a regular basis, as the fiddly leaf-shutter fixed-lens semi-auto 1970s RFs seem to. The FED-2 has much more natural manual controls than almost all of the fixed-lens options (for me). I also like the rendering of an old Industar better than the various Minolta/Olympus/etc. lenses for most subjects (especially people).
    -brian hayden
    http://fed-2.org

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Zorky4 and 2 or 3 Industars, but I prefer the rendering of my Olympus lenses; even though I like the Rusians too.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin