Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,061   Posts: 1,611,391   Online: 1030

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I like the simplicity of the old FSU rangefinders. I have 4 (or 5?, have to check) Zorki and FED 1 type cameras, and all are interesting. Although they all look alike, each one is quite different when handled. Some are easy to wind, and their shutters work silently, others will give you a blister on your thumb after running through a couple of rolls of film, and have shutters which are louder than an SLR.

If you are mechanically inclined, you can tweak and tune the old FSU cameras to be smoother and quieter. In any case, the camera you buy is probably going to require service or repair of some kind (only 1 of the several cameras I have used was ready-to-use upon arrival), you might want to by a couple. If you are lucky both cameras will work. If you have the same luck everyone else has, neither will work, but between the two cameras you should be able to put together one which will work.

I prefer the old Elmar copy lenses. They give you very "Leica-like" images, and are reasonably sharp and contrasty. Another benefit to the earlier lenses is their simpler construction, they are quite easy to repair (but their design is sound enough that they seldom require it). Many of the later Jupiter lenses have been tampered with, and the untampered lenses are probably going to require a cleaning and lubrication, which is much more complicated than on the earlier FED/Industar lenses.

The FSU I'm using currently is the old FED '48 Zorki with a Leica finder on it. The Zorki finder is wider than the 50mm field of view (though nowhere close to the 35mm field of view), the Leica finder allows me to frame my subjects much more precisely.

You might check out the Zorki 3 camera. These cameras are probably the most attractive-looking of the old FSU's, they are easier to load than the 1 models, and they usually come fitted with a Jupiter lens. They are quite a bit more expensive than the FED2 or 4 models, but I think the Zorki 3 is worth the extra money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sangetsu View Post
    If you are mechanically inclined, you can tweak and tune the old FSU cameras to be smoother and quieter. In any case, the camera you buy is probably going to require service or repair of some kind (only 1 of the several cameras I have used was ready-to-use upon arrival), you might want to by a couple. If you are lucky both cameras will work. If you have the same luck everyone else has, neither will work, but between the two cameras you should be able to put together one which will work.
    If you aren't mechanically inclined, and you live in the USA, send it to Eddy Smolov. He's a Ukrainian guy in Brooklyn, NY. Good work, quick turnaround, and inexpensive.

Google his name and you can find contact info.

Be warned, if you call him on the phone his eastern European accent is quite thick. As a farm boy from the south it took me a minute to get what he was saying. Of course, he probably wondered, "who is this this country hick?" So my southern accent is no less thick.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've got analogue SLRs, fixed-lens Japanese RFs, and a FED-2d. I've three lenses for it: I-61 and 2 I-50s, one black and one aluminum. It has no advantage over the fixed-lens cameras except for that looooooooooooong and very accurate rangefinder base. And for some strange reason, I "see" better photographically through that plain, dead-black bordered viewfinder than through a viewfinder with bright framelines. Heck, really, it's a feel thang ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin