Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,914   Online: 1003

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Newbie seeks support from G Series enthusiasts

I got serious about photography just before the digital disaster. I splurged on a Contax G1 just in time to decide that analog was a lost cause & digital was way too expensive and too slick for my taste. After several years I have decided that I can still do analog & want to restart my hobby.

So, if you are a G series person & have sage advice or words of encouragement I would love to hear from you.

Karl

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That's some mighty fine splurging. Nice compact camera & lenses that can't be beat.
    I'm not however a G series person so have no sage advice.
    Welcome home.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    I"m not a G series person, but I am a Rangefinder person, and my best advice is to use more film, if it's black and white you take try different films untill you find one you like, then go on,the more you use the more you learn,Richard

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I AM a G-series user. That's a WONDERFUL camera that will bring you many years of nothing but joy shooting just about anything you can point it at. Not so hot for macro or distant sports/action, but it is the PERFECT travel companion. I took mine on my last two major vacation trips, to Buenos Aires and Barcelona, and shot all my color "street"/documentary type work with it. I couldn't have asked for a better kit - even with now two bodies and five lenses, it all fit in a very lightweight, compact camera bag. The best advice I can give with it is to just always keep it to hand and shoot, shoot, shoot!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Put some film in the camera and go some place of interest. Then shoot some rolls of film. There just has to be things of interest to shoot in Montana. As you learn to use the camera, you will find that that your interest will increase.

Enjoy

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Contax G-1 is a excellent camera, can't beat it. Welcome to APUG!

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I picked up a G1 last year sometime, and have been very happy with it, especially in price vs performance. Which lenses do you have?

The Plannar 45/2 is an astonishing lens, and so cheap now it's stupid. The Biogon 28/2.8 is also fantastic. I've heard good things about all the lens, even the 35mm and 90mm.

On the internet I've read various complaints about the auto focus; some say it's finicky, or sometimes doesn't work properly. I was told to watch the distance readout in the viewfinder, and it's helped. Sometimes AF takes a few tries, but I've never had any blurry or bad photos.

This Contax G page is pretty good. I use the custom function to leave the leader sticking out upon rewind.
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The focus on the G1 with the 90mm is fussy, otherwise it's spot on. The only lens of the bunch that's been considered a weak performer is the 35mm f2. I have all the lenses for the system now except the zoom and the 16mm Hologon. They are all (with the exception of the 35mm lens, which is merely VERY good) class-leading performers, easily the equal of Leica glass. I wouldn't trade the camera for a Leica with a matching complement of lenses, if that gives you any idea of how much I like it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Welcome Home !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    ... easily the equal of Leica glass.
    I would have to disagree; I've had my G1 outperform some of my Leica gear
    Those who know, shoot film

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin