Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,287   Posts: 1,535,340   Online: 814

Shooter
    Med. Format RF

Adapting a LTM lens for Leica M-mount

hello,
    does anyone out there in TV land know what type of adaptor i would need to couple the m8 to this lens:

INDUSTAR-26 M 52mm f2.8 lens Leica Zorki Sonnar copy

- a note, I have heard that the russian lenses are the ones to "avoid" or "look out for" for some reason, but even if that is true if anyone knows of the type of adaptor for this lens i'd appreciate the info. also if you know if said adaptor (if it exists) is easy to procure or not that would also be helpful.

Thank you.

m

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Try posting this at www.rangefinderforum.com lots of M8 users there.
    Best regards,

Bob
    CEO-CFO-EIEIO, Ret.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a screwmount lens, so you need one of the several screwmount-to-M adapters. I know CameraQuest sells them; I haven't looked into it much since I don't have any M-mount bodies.

The I-26M was the standard lens on a lot of Feds and some Zorkis. It's not a Sonnar copy but a Tessar type, not a copy of any specific lens as far as I know, and some are pretty good. Quality control on the Soviet lenses is questionable, but this lens is cheap enough that you can acquire bunches of them and cherry-pick. They are absolutely common as dirt; Fedka has them for $39.95 (I assume CLA'd).

There is some concern that the focussing helical in the Soviet lenses may be slightly differently aligned from the Leica standard, but informed authorities differ and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer.

So, perfectly competent lens if you get a good one, the adapter shouldn't be a problem, but whether you want it really depends on whether you want to take a flyer on a lens that may or may not be any good.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ebay or www.cameraquest.com should sort you right out for a screwmount-to-Leica M adapter. They are marked for focal length. The differences between adapter focal lengths do not affect the ability to fit the lens to the camera; they do affect the proper selection of viewfinder frames. You'll definitely want the proper adapter.

You should have pretended you were asking about an M3 double-stroke; same adapter, and you won't risk waking the anti-digital zombies.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentX View Post
    You should have pretended you were asking about an M3 double-stroke; same adapter
    Thread title updated, since the information is still useful for all users of M-mount Leicas.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I bought a no-name LTM => M adapter on eBay for about $25 or so a few years ago. No problem with it. I wouldn't overspend on this item.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    KEH had a Cosina-Voigtlander version used for $37 today. Brings up the 50-75 frame sets.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    some of the russian lenses are real diamonds in the rough, however, chances of finding one buying from e-bay are slim, I would test the lens first with an older leica, some of the lenses did not even have the 28.8mm focal distance. Test it before investing further.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin