Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,645   Posts: 1,481,251   Online: 743

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Looking for an M39 lens, or two. Examples desired.

I picked up a Canon III and would like to try some Russian manufactured M39 lenses. I've already ordered an Industar N-61 for testing. I'm really looking for something near 50mm, with decent sharpness, and minimal distortion. Are there any lenses I should look at specifically? Any examples for lenses on net would also be great. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by anon12345; 06-21-2010 at 03:23 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Removed profanity.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have an Industar-22 that is pretty descent, Industar 50, and Jupiter 8 are not as good as 61 ld.
    Also Russian lenses had some quality control issues that really exacerbated in the 1980s, so look at the serial and pick up 1950-1970.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    The Industar-22 can be (quality variability dependant) quite a good lens - I don't really see a difference between my copy and my Elmar. Will a Russian lens work on a Canon body? My Canon 135mm f3.5 works fine on my IIIc but does not work on my Zorki I - something to do with the shape of the rnagefinder mechanism - I don't know if there's an issue going the other way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Here is one example that I took with Jupiter 8:

http://darkosaric.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d23j70d

I sold this lens to a friend who uses it as macro lens on his nikon DSLR with adapter, and I saw examples - nice quality.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I think I will be looking at some more Industar's.

I received the N-61 yesterday and it fits the Canon just fine. The rangefinder works and the scale on the lens appears accurate when focused. I'm running film through it today.

I recently owned an uncoated Elmar 5cm on a different camera and was very disappointed with the results from that lens. I then had the Jupiter 3 on a Zorki and I would have to rate that one as "just o-kay". I seem to be a magnet for mediocre glass.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesaraugusta View Post
    I think I will be looking at some more Industar's.

I received the N-61 yesterday and it fits the Canon just fine. The rangefinder works and the scale on the lens appears accurate when focused. I'm running film through it today.

I recently owned an uncoated Elmar 5cm on a different camera and was very disappointed with the results from that lens. I then had the Jupiter 3 on a Zorki and I would have to rate that one as "just o-kay". I seem to be a magnet for mediocre glass.
    It is my understanding the Industar 61l--the one with the 'radio-active" glass--is consistently the best. The one I have on my FED is first-rate.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You've got a very nice 59 year old camera. How is the rangefinder ? Recently calibrated ? Are you sure the rfdr is correct ?

If so, you can start playing with lenses. Do you believe Russian LTM lenses can function properly on a Leica/Canon system ?

Are the lenses you are trying focusing where you want them to ?

I suspect your issues have much to camera maintenance, camera abuse (Oh, I can probably fix THIS !), and the litany of difficulties associated with Soviet lenses.

Check to see if the camera focuses to infinity, and to 1.5 meters. Is that where the lens is focusing ?

Good luck.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by df cardwell View Post
    . . . I suspect your issues have much to camera maintenance, camera abuse (Oh, I can probably fix THIS !), and the litany of difficulties associated with Soviet lenses . . . .

Good luck.
    You're funny. I've only had this thing a couple days.

I picked it up at a local camera repair shop that is going out of business. Most likely one of those that a customer failed to pickup following a repair. The camera body in-itself is quite irrelevant, having cost only ten bucks. But, having the M39 mount it might accommodate some of the lenses I'd be interested in testing. Of course if a specific lens is not going to function on this body, that could be valuable information.
    Last edited by anon12345; 06-22-2010 at 12:56 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added several four-letter words.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darkosaric View Post
    Here is one example that I took with Jupiter 8:

http://darkosaric.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d23j70d

I sold this lens to a friend who uses it as macro lens on his nikon DSLR with adapter, and I saw examples - nice quality.
    Thanks for the example. After looking over your website I found myself inspired.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cesaraugusta View Post
    Thanks for the example. After looking over your website I found myself inspired.
    Thank you for compliment

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin