Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,545,000   Online: 695

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Don't forget the Minolta rangefinders. I have a HiMatic 7s and I got a AL-F for my girlfriend and they both work great. The AL-F was 30usd including shipping of ebay and the HiMatic 7s was 15usd off Craigslist. Took a little patience but the deals are out there.

Roger

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have owned a Yashica J rangefinder for a couple of years but have not used it yet. I am planning to take it out tonight and try it.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Olympus XA is very tiny indeed, with good glass. Smallest ever rangefinder and very close to smallest 35mm ever. It'll go well with the OM-1 for sure and it's not that expensive.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Kiev — solid, good weight, nice lenses, terrible VF (but very visible RF patch); haven't managed to knock anything out of alignment yet (and I bang it around every day…sometimes rougher than I would try with any other camera. Something about the build makes me trust it not to shatter.)
    Oh and the exterior is pretty much entirely metal. You just have to get used to the terrible built-in VF.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The two best optics that I've experienced in small Japanese rf's are the Konica S-3 and the Minolta Hi-Matic G. The Minolta was electronic and hard to manipulate for compensation, etc but the lens was extremely good. The Konica had an interesting and clever flash-matic system for use with simple flashes. I was taking some shots with the Konica at a cousin's wedding many years back (25+!) and the pro lost all of her film somehow to a processing disaster. There are some shots hanging as 8x10's on her wall and I'm still amazed at how solid that little rig came through and saved something of the day for her.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    The two best optics that I've experienced in small Japanese rf's are the Konica S-3 and the Minolta Hi-Matic G.
    The G is one of the ones with a Tessar-type lens, isn't it? You must have gotten a really good sample---on paper, the wider lenses with more elements on some of the other Hi-Matic models should eat its lunch.

I've had two specimens of the Hi-Matic 7s now---the first one died just in time for me to stumble on a second one in a thrift shop---and I've been really happy with both of them. They're big when compared to the f/2.8 compacts, they don't have the most sophisticated feel and "haptics", if you will, but the lens is sharp and the autoexposure system appears to be congenitally incapable of error. But in general, I think all these compact Japanese RFs of the era are good cameras, and everybody seems to love the particular ones they've had.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    The G is one of the ones with a Tessar-type lens, isn't it? You must have gotten a really good sample---on paper, the wider lenses with more elements on some of the other Hi-Matic models should eat its lunch.

-NT
    Oops.... I had just read the post above regarding a G and meant to type E instead. It's been a number of years and a bit of gin and scotch have removed some neurons! The E was a good, solid feeling rig that was made very nicely and seemed aimed at a more demanding part of the market.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just bought an Olympus 35 RC and love it. Fixed lens, but has a threaded lens unlike the Rollei and Olympus Trip35 or XA, or minox pocket cameras.
    M. David Farrell, Jr.

----------------------------------------------
    ~Buying a Nikon doesn not make you a photographer. It makes you a Nikon owner!

~Everybody has a photographic memory, but not everybody has film!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm digging my Fuji GA645i. Its 60 mm lens is sharp and contrasty but the autofocus takes some getting used to.

Shooter
    35mm
    I second looking at cameraquest.com, there is a ton of good information about classic 35mm rangefinders of the 60s and 70s. Its what I used when I was looking for one (I got 2 Canon GIII QL17s).

I also would recommend contacting Jon Goodman about some lightseal kits. I replaced the light seals on my two QL17s as well as a Nikon FE.

I would also take a look at rangerfinderforum.com for some more discussion as well as their classified ads. There is a Ricoh 500g listed currently I think. I bought my cameras from their forums classifieds and had good luck.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin