Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,745   Posts: 1,515,608   Online: 948

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Possibly buying my first Leica

I really wasn't planning in buying one period but a IIIc deal came along that is hard to pass up. Most of the items I could identify and price... One was a bit perplexing.

Does anyone know what this lens might refer to:

Voigtlander Anastigmat "Skopar" 13,5cm 1:4.5

...and potential value? its a M39 lens i might pick up tomorrow as part of a kit but I can't seem to find anything about it. Perhaps the sellers description is wrong? Or perhaps the lens was harvested from a larger format camera and repurposed?
    Last edited by Brian Legge; 06-26-2010 at 03:16 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It sounds like it's a 135mm enlarging lens with a standard 39mm thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's a taking lens, it's Voigtlander's version of the Tessar but a 135mm f4.5 Skopar is usually in a Compur 1 shutter and used on 9x12 cameras.

Voigtlander did make 35mm cameras after WWII so it's possible they adapted the lens for 35mm use, the head off one of the Leica lenses actually covers 5x4 so it's not so far fetched. Some Zeiss & Voigtlander lenses were adapted to fit Leicas.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Back when Labor was cheap and Material was expensive, it wasn't unusual to remount a Tessar/Skopar/WhatHaveYou into a focus barrel for a Leica. Especially if you HAD the 135, and you could find somebody to do the work for you ! Remember the Era of the Leica began when having a job was a wonderful thing, and NOBODY could afford what we take for granted today.

All in all, I think the world was a better place when there were more lathe operators and fewer programmers.
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

At the confluence of Black Creek and the Locust Fork of the Warrior River, Alabama
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Go for the Leica, Brian ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Go for it. My first leica was also a IIIc! Love shooting with it!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posted wirelessly..

"All in all, I think the world was a better place when there were more lathe operators and fewer programmers"

Amen, brother.
    "There is a time and place for all things, the difficulty is to use them only in their proper time and places." -- Robert Henri

Shooter
    35mm
    Get it. I have a IIIc/f conversion. This camera has an elegant sufficiency of dials and knobs, and is most fun to operate. You can take the thoughtful approach and carefully set up each shot as it comes, OR you can preset everything and use it like a point-and-shoot.:o

With best regards.

Steve

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I did.

The camera itself is in good user condition. The rangefinder is slightly hard to see but still better than some of the other cameras I've been using recently. All shutter speeds with the exception of the slowest seem to be working well. The curtains look fine.

It wasn't as stellar a deal as I thought at first due to the condition of the glass though. Oh well, I've had some other good deals recently. The set contained:

Leica IIIc, 417xxx (with a 1961 service sticker on the inside )
    Summarit 5cm f/1.5
    Elmar 9cm f/4
    Jupiter 12
    Voigtlander Anastigmat "Skopar" 13,5cm 1:4.5
    Leica multi finder

Unfortunately the Summarit - the lens I was most excited about using - has relatively significant cleaning marks. I don't know how usable it will be. The glass of the other lenses aren't as bad but also are in questionable condition. I already have a J12 so I'll probably be selling this one. That will knock the price down a little.

Based on the condition of the glass, the seller sold it to me for $250. If the Summarit is usable, I'll be thrilled with the purchase. If not, I may not hold on to all of this long.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If that's the price for the full kit, you didn't do bad at all.
    http://www.zone-10.com

When you turn your camera on, does it return the favor?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin