Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,622   Online: 682

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images

Problems with my auto setting on my M7

I was on a trip a week ago and I shot two shots on a new roll of film and the shutter just stopped working on the auto setting. Thinking it was the battery I change the batteries and it still didn't work. It works on other speeds and you get the arrows like I get on my M6.
    Does anyone know what the problem is or am I off to NJ repair to get it fixed.. This is one reason I like my M6 because if the battery goes bad the shutter still works properly.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sell the m7 and buy a mp
    vive la resistance!

6x9

Shooter
    35mm
    If I remember correctly, there is some magnet or something that is responsible for the auto shutter. It is dead. You'll have to get it replaced. Sell it and get an Ikon.
    I have changed my password and changed my email to a random email. This is forum seppuku. Good bye!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    common, an Ikon?!?!?!? or maybe an Iconsina or an N ikon! good biogons though :-D
    vive la resistance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Common? "Come on"?

Cameras break. Stuff happens.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    First, if ALL your other shutter speeds work and the M7 does not work in AUTO, there is nothing wrong with the shutter as ALL the speeds with a battery installed are electronically controlled. Without the battery 1/60 and 1/125 are mechanically available.
    I encountered a similar problem last winter with one of my M7's. In very cold weather, AUTO would not work, but metering and 1/60 and 1/125 were available for me to continue shooting. Are you SURE ALL your other shutter speeds work. If so, it is not the same problem with low voltage but that is what it sounds like. Do you keep batteries installed in your M7 for long periods of time without using your camera? I would check and clean the contacts and purchase new batteries of a reliable brand in packaging with an expiration date from an on-line source. Many bricks & Motor places have batteries that have sat for ages and won't work with today's camera, trust me, I've been there.
    If the M7 still doesn't work in AUTO, you have two options, off to Leica or use as is. Let me know what you find please.-Dick

BTW its too bad that some of Posters were not able to offer some help.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Test the "New batteries" with a multimeter to check the voltage, and clean the battery contacts first before installing them.
    Ben

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Thanks for the advise. Used extra batteries I keep with the camera and it didn't change so bought batteries from batteries plus and still had the same problem.
    The meter works like my m6 with the arrows and other shutter speeds. I think I I'll send to nj repair department.
    "Capturing an image is only one step of the long chain of events to create a beautiful Photograph” See my updated website: mandersenphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    If everything else works when not set to AUTO, then its definitely not the battery or anything that can be easily fixed. If under warranty, call Leica and ask for UPS pickup and return and a quick turn around. My M7 just became shutter bound and it was gone and back in a little over one week. Ask them to tell you what was found and I'd be very interested in knowing what the cause was. Good luck.
    The M7 is a great camera but it does have its quirks, I have two luckily but that ls because I usually carry both with Motor M's.-Dick

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin