Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,868   Online: 1131

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Seeking Folding Camera dealer Melbourne

Do any of the Oz members know of someone in Melbourne that I could buy (with confidence) from, a restored/repaired/fully functioning folder. I'm looking for a 6 x 9 105mm bellows, rangfinder if possible. I've been looking at the certo6 site in the states but have found quite a lot of adverse comments regarding this guy and am loath to take a chance with someone so far afield.

Thanks, everyone. Patricia in Tassie

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Camera Exchange at 377 Lonsdale Street, just up from another gem, Michaels Cameras. Both have a vast array of pre-loved gear, but Michaels has a huge gallery of antique gear in every shape and size (none for sale; it's a private collection). Any of the stuff could actually give you information on the likelihood of tracking down what it is you are after, maybe even show you one in the collection. TCE has a smaller antique section (but enormous pre-loved pro gear area taking up most of the shop). Generally you may have to keep an eye out over time. Mainlinephoto in Sydney might also be able to help (Voigtlander, Bessa, others...).

Also have a look on eBay Australia (restrict search to Australia to lessen overseas risk), but make sure you carefully suss anything out, along with the Seller — far too much stuff is more about gilding the lily.

LINKS: The Camera Exchange; Michaels; Mainline Photographics
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try ringing
    A/ Shutter-Box 03 9809 4711
    B/ Photographic Warehouse 03 9557 6666

Also look out for Camera Trader in a good newsagent, lot of stuff for sale in that little yellow magazine

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The current Photographic Trader, which I picked up on Thursday has a Voigtländer Bessa 1 F4.5 105 Vaskar, Prontor-S

It's on page 18 far right column.

It's in Townsville and is $100.00.

Looks like a good user camera, albeit at the lower end of the Voigtländer Bessa 1 range.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks everyone - Mick, the guy with the ad in Photo Trader is sending me a Bessa 1 so I can try before I buy- will put a film through

Thanks everyone - Mick, the guy with the ad in Photo Trader is sending me a Bessa 1 so I can put a film through before I decide to buy - or not. Should be fun - or not!

Patricia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Patricia, keep us posted.

Sounds good!

Mick.

Quote Originally Posted by patricia de roeck View Post
    Do any of the Oz members know of someone in Melbourne that I could buy (with confidence) from, a restored/repaired/fully functioning folder. I'm looking for a 6 x 9 105mm bellows, rangfinder if possible. I've been looking at the certo6 site in the states but have found quite a lot of adverse comments regarding this guy and am loath to take a chance with someone so far afield.

Thanks, everyone. Patricia in Tassie
    For what it's woth Patricia, I have bought quite a few items from Certo6 over several years and always found his work well done. There are not many people installing new bellows in folders and checking focus. Almost all the folders I have bought from flea markets etc have needed to have their focus tweaked.
    Mark
    Mark Layne
    Nova Scotia
    and Barbados

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Just thought I'd let you know that I've just put a roll of PanF through the Bessa 1folder
    I was sent - after wasting two rolls of film I finally put the film in the camera the right way round - kept wondering why I couldn't see any numbers in the little red window - Duh! I've just done some 10 x 8 prints and they're not too shabby for a camera over 60 years old.. I found that printing them at grade 1 to 1.3/4 gave the prints the right 'look' for the soft (compared to today's) lens.
    Found its no good hand-holding either, but no doubt that's my old age, not the camera's. Realise this should be in the Antiques forum but thought I'd let everyone who responded to my original post know how I went.....was hoping that the 6 x 9 negs would allow me to go to 12 x 16 prints but will have to settle for 10 x 8's. Looks like my dream of a small, cheap camera that gives big negs with razor sharp results was a bit ambitious.
    Cheers, Patricia

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Patricia, why don't you try a lightweight monopod to improve stability

Images
    Patricia, With a 6x9 folder you may be running into a problem with film flatness. If you open the camera after you advance the film the vacuum created pulls the film away from the pressure plate. With my Moskva 2, I usually advance the film until the number just appears at the edge of the red window. Then, after I open the camera and just before I snap the shutter, I advance it until the number is centered in the window. In addition, I usually use ISO 400 film and try to use the fastest shutter spead. With that combination I can shoot hand-held and still enlarge to 11x14".
    -------------------------------
    Peter Schauss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin