Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,361   Online: 1174

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    While the M series is nice, my wallet is NOT that nice. I'd rather dump the money into the business-end of the camera and get a good lens.
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Update - I have HEARD....Heard mind you....that this year at Photokina, Cosina is coming out with the "new R2". Well, I guess the R3.

Hence a while ago they stopped making the R2s. Now, I could get one soon. They still seem to be out there.

Or should I wait for the "R3"?

My bet is that the price will be higher, and I doubt I could get any discount on an R2 body after the R3 hits. Cosina's stopping of production seems to be designed to assure that.

But could the R3 be "that much better"? Anyone hear any rumors on features, etc? If it has some vital feature I might hold off, but other wise.....
    Official Photo.net Villain
    ----------------------
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]DaVinci never wrote an artist's statement...[/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Bessas are not bad, I was tempeted to buy one, so I tested them at the locacl shop that had a couple in stock

The first one to come (L) looked cheap and feeled cheap. Light, plastic film advance lever, ugly balance.
    The R was much better, felt more solid and the Skopar 50mm lens was superb. I shot some APX100 with it and the pics came out tack sharp
    I think R,L, and Ts are selling quite cheap now @cameraquest.com.

The R2 usies leica M mount , same as bessa T and they claim it is similar to Leica CL.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    I've had a CL for decades and had it CLA'd at Leitz last year. I'm not a huge range finder fan but it is very nice to carry a tiny camera system with no compromise in performance over my bulkier SLRs. I like to carry it in a small fanny pack when I'm lugging my 4x5 view camera. That way, after I get the 4x5 shot set up, I can run around shooting 35mm while I'm waiting for the light.

Today, If I didn't already own the CL, I would probably lean heavily towards getting the Voightlander. CL's are all 25 years old and both cameras take M lenses.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I just bought an R2 from Cameraquest (Stephen Gandy). It just arrived today, and for less than 25% of the cost of a new Leica, you get what appears to be an extremely good quality camera.

Shutter noise is a little less than on my Nikon FM2 SLR--not at all objectionable, but not the "hush" of a Leica RF.

At this point, I'm really happy I deceided on the Bessa R2, and I doubt I'll ever feel differently.

Guessing at the R3: Cossina/Voigtlander is making the Epson digital RF body, and it has a 1.00 viewfinder magnification. I suspect that will be part of the new R3, though I am just guessing. Very likely, it will be compatible if you buy R2 system components.

Shooter
    35mm

CL or Bessa???? NOT

OK, I went with a Bessa (too noisy) and a CL (meter problems) and finally got the Leica M6. Save your money and get the Leica M6.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Have a look at this site.
    http://www.cameraquest.com/index.htm
    It explains a lot. One thing is to keep a certain type of Minolta SLR, if you buy A CLE, because it shares the circuitboard with it

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I still advocate Canon GIII or an old black Hexar if you must have THE QUIETEST camera. Cheap too

"What Would Zeus Do?"
    KBPhotoRantPhotoPermitAPUG flickr Robot

Shooter
    35mm
    In some ways I liked my CL better than my R3A---especially with the frame-lines. However, I found the R3A a lot easier and faster to snap with. So I bought a 2nd R3A body and sold my CL.
    Last edited by Frank-G; 09-01-2006 at 07:01 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Kennedy
    But could the R3 be "that much better"? Anyone hear any rumors on features, etc? If it has some vital feature I might hold off, but other wise.....
    I haven't heard any rumors or anything about their future products, but one thing always comes to my mind: Will the new one(s) be always better than the old ones? Well, quite frankly the answer is more likely no than yes to me.

Have they reached their peak, and/or maxed out their investment, technology, production, and sales yet? Are they still climbing up the ladder steps to reach the Leica-Zeiss RF heaven?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin