Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,623   Online: 848

Shooter
    35mm

Need a flash and film recommendation

I just picked up a mint Olympus 35 SP, just like my Dad had back in the 70s. I intend to use slide film in it. He used to use Kodachrome and he always used a flash indoors.

The Olympus uses a "Flashmatic" system where you just dial the ring to the guide number of your flash and it calculates the proper exposure. So the flash doesn't have to be TTL. What I need is a small, light electronic flash and a slide film that if won't look as good as Kodachrome will at least look pretty good when used with a flash.

Any suggestions?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    T18, T32, T310

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Pumalite View Post
    T18, T32, T310
    Or T20 .

These are Olympus flashes, by the way.

You might find that the T32 and T310 are a bit big though. One of the legion of smaller Vivitar or Sunpak flashes might work better, because of their size and shape.

Although the Guide Number system works well, you may wish to consider a flash that offers auto exposure Thyristor circuitry as well, because for shorter distances, the flash can be set to recycle more quickly, and give many more flashes per set of batteries.

EDIT: For film, I would recommend Kodak Elitechrome, or E100G
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    With the Oly GN system there's no need to buy their flash. Find a cheap flash with one contact & it'll work.
    I've got a small Pentax AF160S flash if you want it for $8.00 if you don't mind it going into a bubble pack envelope.
    It's GN of about 50 w/iso 100. Two auto ranges & runs on two AA's. It does have two contacts sync and ready light for Pentax cameras.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm
    The small Vivitar auto flashes are great and available for peanuts:

Vivitar 215
    http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes...ivitar_215.pdf

or Vivitar 225
    http://www.cameramanuals.org/flashes...ivitar_225.pdf

Their size and output are appropriate for your camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've so far found the GN system to be better than TTL.

Shooter
    35mm
    ^ There's no TTL flash automation on an Olympus 35 SP.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin