Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,047   Posts: 1,610,789   Online: 892
      
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910
Results 91 to 100 of 100

Thread: Which Leica M?

  1. #91
    peter_n's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Boston, USA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    50
    I understand that 35 and 50mm are the most popular lenses on Leicas so I think a good cost-effective body would be an M2 or an M4-P. I personally like the solitary framelines on the M2 but an M4-P will handle a wider range of lenses. Also the M4-P has a 28mm frameline; that lens pairs well with a 50mm. It's really down to the focal length(s) you want to use.

  2. #92
    agw
    agw is offline

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Munich, Germany
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    33
    M4. Much nicer to use with its film loading than M3 and M2, IMO. Silky smooth mechanism.

    Honestly, I don't understand the hype the M2 receives, here and elsewhere. Both the film loading (which I know from my M3) and the frame counter dial (which I know from my IIIc) look like a major hassle. As for the "uncluttered" viewfinder often cited, I hardly ever notice the 135mm frame lines inside my M4's 35mm frame...

  3. #93
    Double Negative's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    New York
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    87
    Tough call. I'm going to have to go with the M7, if only because I'm a big aperture priority shooter. It's customized with M3 controls and framelines - does that count?

  4. #94

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by agw View Post
    M4. Much nicer to use with its film loading than M3 and M2, IMO. Silky smooth mechanism.

    Honestly, I don't understand the hype the M2 receives, here and elsewhere. Both the film loading (which I know from my M3) and the frame counter dial (which I know from my IIIc) look like a major hassle. As for the "uncluttered" viewfinder often cited, I hardly ever notice the 135mm frame lines inside my M4's 35mm frame...
    The M4 is certainly great, but I personally dislike the rewind crank. With a Rapid Load kit, the M2 is just as easy to load. Also, I love the older button rewind versions, as the front of the camera is cleaner and I don't have to rest my fingers on top of a self-timer lever.

  5. #95
    mls64's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Shooter
    35mm
    Posts
    48
    Quote Originally Posted by Double Negative View Post
    Tough call. I'm going to have to go with the M7, if only because I'm a big aperture priority shooter. It's customized with M3 controls and framelines - does that count?
    Good call.

  6. #96
    michaelbsc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    South Carolina
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    2,106
    Images
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by cbphoto View Post
    The M4 is certainly great, but I personally dislike the rewind crank. With a Rapid Load kit, the M2 is just as easy to load. Also, I love the older button rewind versions, as the front of the camera is cleaner and I don't have to rest my fingers on top of a self-timer lever.
    What is the Rapid Load kit?

    I finally bought an M2 after using a FED for years, and frankly I don't find it hard to load at all. But this is the only Leica experience I have. Maybe I'm missing something. Is it supposed to be hard?
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

    The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

  7. #97

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,006
    Images
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    What is the Rapid Load kit?

    I finally bought an M2 after using a FED for years, and frankly I don't find it hard to load at all. But this is the only Leica experience I have. Maybe I'm missing something. Is it supposed to be hard?
    Not hard at all compared to a thread mount.
    2F/2F

    "Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

    - Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

  8. #98

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    NYC
    Shooter
    35mm RF
    Posts
    366
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    What is the Rapid Load kit?

    I finally bought an M2 after using a FED for years, and frankly I don't find it hard to load at all. But this is the only Leica experience I have. Maybe I'm missing something. Is it supposed to be hard?
    It's a fixed-spool insert for the M2/3 that lets you load film without removing the spool. It's a bit faster, but not earth-shatteringly so.

  9. #99

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Burnaby, BC
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    667
    If I shot only black and white film (with its greater forgiveness) I would give a nod to the classic M3 (double stroke, of course); however, as someone who (as long as it remains available) shoots E100G (formerly a dyed-in-the wool Kodachrome shooter), I would opt for one of the M6 models or an M7, the built-in meter an obvious advantage.

  10. #100

    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Oklahoma, USA
    Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Posts
    681
    My comments are for the original poster's question. "This is what I'm looking for, anyway... a well-designed and engineered walk-about 35mm film camera.. quick to meter and focus, unobtrusive, with no bells and whistles. Eventually, something my kids will inherit."

    A M7 with aperture priority is the camera to consider.

    For those reading this post to learn more about Leica Ms.

    Years ago I traded my first M6 (.72) for a MP (.72). I'm very satisfied with the MP. Your budget, preferred focal length(s), and meter requirements influence which Leica M to purchase. If money is not a factor consider the MP with its smoother controls, improved viewfinder contrast, center meter dot & improved top plate cosmetics vs the M6 and early M7s.

    The M3/M2 has a less brilliant viewfinder with blue tint, lacks the quick-load system, and probably needs repairs due to age. Budget a CLA if you purchase anything older than a M6. The M3/M2 issues may negate their positives.

    However, for some, the M3 .9 finder with 50/90mm uncluttered viewfinder is a consideration if you can live without a 35mm frame. A viewfinder magnifier (M 1.25) is available for a .72 M6/7/MP if higher viewfinder magnification is a requirement.

    A clean M4 would be my second choice to a MP. You can carry a meter and use a brilliant accessory finder for optics wider than 35mm.

    Shooters should save money buying cosmetically imperfect cameras. I confess its a pain to maintain a mint body. No need to get a beater. Buy something nice; add a leather case to cover up handling marks.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 01-01-2012 at 05:53 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin